Existing Member?

Many Adventures of a Nomadic Poet A young poet with Asperger's makes travel his passion, and away he goes...

Fiskafrikadella

FAROE ISLANDS | Friday, 31 May 2024 | Views [20]

Try saying that 10 times fast. If I could wake up every day to the view of a fjord with the sound of lapping waves, I would likely be content...until I get itchy feet again. My time in the Faroe Islands is short but the days and my list of things to see and do are long. Just like yesterday, my thumb would really work in my favour as I covered a lot of ground today. 

As the "Land of Maybe," the weather today would remain in Faroese fashion: sunny one minute, misty the next. A brief stroll round Klaksvik and then honing my photography skills in Skipanes would start my day. So much beauty here!

Eiði is where I'd end up as I'd be picked up by a local named Samal. He would drive me to the Risin og Kellingin viewpoint.

The Land of Maybe would live up to its name again as it was sunny and then I got wet, and then it took a while to get a lift back to Eiði. As I was searching for a geocache, Samal saw me from his kitchen window, and he, his wife Anna, and daughter, Maria invited me in for coffee and fiskafrikadella (fish cakes).

Delicious it was, and I'd love to take the recipe home. It would be interesting to make Faroese food when visiting some friends as it would raise a lot of curiousity. Unsurprisingly, Faroese cuisine is dominated by what they can pluck from the ocean. Eiði is the starting point for hikes to Slættaratindur. At 880 metres, it's the highest point in the Faroe Islands. If the weather was nicer and I had a bit more time I would have my trekking boots on and be standing tall up there. Waving goodbye to Samal, Anna, and Maria, I would tackle the Land of Maybe with my thumb once again, this time ending up in Oyrarbakki. 

 

What a spectacular place! After all of my exploring today I'd end up in Torshavn again. It's very easy to fall in love with the capital's colour and quirkiness. 

 

It was getting late but I had no fear about not getting a lift back to Klaksvik. Sure enough I got a lift with a group of seasonal workers who offered me my first Faroese beer. After doing so much by day, it was time to experience Faroese nightlife ("night" is a slight misnomer at this time of year), calling in at a pub called Roykstovan. Earlier I had my first Faroese beer in a can; this time I'd have it in a glass. The Faroe Islands, along with Iceland and Norway, are a place where you could easily drain your bank account by going out drinking but tonight I didn't care. As my 78th country visited, the Land of Maybe with a side of fiskafrikadella continues to wow me! Along with places like Norfolk Island, Stewart Island and Uluru, I'm easily placing the Faroe Islands among my five favourite places in the world.

Add your comments

(If you have a travel question, get your Answers here)

In order to avoid spam on these blogs, please enter the code you see in the image. Comments identified as spam will be deleted.


About kiwiaoraki


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Faroe Islands

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.