Existing Member?

Many Adventures of a Nomadic Poet A young poet with Asperger's makes travel his passion, and away he goes...

Torshavn...and All Around

FAROE ISLANDS | Thursday, 30 May 2024 | Views [34]

Early I had a gorgeous view as I was ready to take the Faroe Islands by storm (albeit without the storm) and see and do as much as possible within these majestic islands. I had originally hoped to spend two weeks in the Faroes and go to every main island but I settled on four nights as I have a lot of Europe to cover. Due to the strike there isn't a lot at the supermarket but I was able to get a couple of croissants and a Red Bull. My German SIM card works in Denmark but not in the Faroe Islands, so I sorted out a new SIM card since I'll need it for geocaching, directions, communication, and to ease boredom during rainy nights at the boathouse. I'll add that the Faroes are one of the more expensive countries to buy a SIM card. 

As one of the world's masters of tunnelling technology, the Faroe Islands are probably the only country with an undersea roundabout. The Faroes are roughly T-shaped and made of more than a dozen large islands and hundreds of smaller ones. Torshavn is on Streymoy, the largest island. Klaksvik is on Bordoy, and on my way to Torshavn I was on Eysturoy. The airport is located on Vagar, and the other large islands are Kalsoy, Kunoy, Sandoy, and Suðuroy. I won't have time to go to all of them. Two of the most remote islands are Svinoy and Fugloy, which I would love to visit someday and perhaps go camping. 

With brisk efficiency I was in Torshavn, the Faroes' colourful, pint-sized capital. 

My friend Mariann and I have yet to meet but she's been my virtual tour guide and advice counselor. The strike means petrol is very limited, therefore there are very few vehicles on the roads. She warned me to plan to get back to Klaksvik accordingly or risk being stuck out on the cold or having to go for a very long walk home. Mariann has also suggested numerous places to visit whilst here. A brief stroll at Skansin would start my day here. 

Built in 1580 to protect against pirates, the fortress was used by the British during WWII during the occupation of the Faroes. British guns still sit beside Danish cannons. Rain was threatening to come down at any minute but I didn't care. With a vibrant mixture of red and green, Tinganes is the oldest part of Torshavn and is the seat of the Faroe Islands government. The Løgting, founded in approximately 900, is perhaps the oldest functioning parliament in Europe. 

 

The Norsemen likely arrived in the Faroe Islands before arriving in Iceland, so the Faroese parliament is believed to be older than the Alþing, which was founded in 930. Much like how I met the prime minister of Tuvalu, I thought I'd try my luck meeting the prime minister of the Faroe Islands but he isn't here currently. Akin to Reykjavik or St. John's, Torshavn has a dizzying and dazzling array of colour. The capital has a lot to see and do but, as it's nearly an hour away from Klaksvik and traffic is light, I needed to head back that direction. A local would show me an interesting sculpture and then the interior of a traditional Faroese home. 

As winters are long and firewood is scarce, grass roofs have always acted as insulation before electricity was introduced. 

These days they're more for aesthetics. I wasn't done yet as Fuglafjørður was next with its superb setting.

Where else can you find a waterfall right in the middle of town? 

Whilst there I chatted to a British couple who brought their campervan over on the ferry. It's possible to even travel to Iceland from mainland Europe with your own vehicle. 

Opting to take full advantage of 24 hours of usable daylight, I wasn't finished yet. Hiking at 10:30 PM sounds unheard of in the rest of the world but not in the Faroes. Klakkur is a magnificent lookout on the northern end of Klaksvik with views of the fjords and both Kalsoy and Kunoy. 

Well, the views weren't the best today but I feel I got the last laugh by being able to hike at 10:30 PM and still be up there close to midnight.

My goal for my 40th birthday is to climb Mt. Damavand. At 5,610 metres, it's the highest mountain in Iran as well as one of the world's highest non-technical mountains. Hikes like Klakkur are a warm up for Damavand. Faroese sheep and their wool are beautiful and warm. 

They get an amazing view any day of the week! I found 12 geocaches today as I've so far found every cache I've attempted in the Faroe Islands. Having stretched both my feet and thumb to all but maximum capacity today, I had a quiet one at the boathouse this evening. I keep thinking to myself, I'm not done yet...

Add your comments

(If you have a travel question, get your Answers here)

In order to avoid spam on these blogs, please enter the code you see in the image. Comments identified as spam will be deleted.


About kiwiaoraki


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Faroe Islands

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.