Existing Member?

Many Adventures of a Nomadic Poet A young poet with Asperger's makes travel his passion, and away he goes...

Faroes Passion

FAROE ISLANDS | Sunday, 2 June 2024 | Views [51]

Last night I had a Faroese night, with this morning having woke up with a hangover after a few at the pub and then some at home. It was bucketing down rain this morning so it was a great opportunity for a lie-in. Chivalrous to the last as always, I wouldn't be lying in bed for a long time as I certainly wasn't gonna let a hangover dictate my final day in the Faroe Islands. Eydna and her children would be on the ferry with me this evening, so I had an opportunity to get my stuff ready and put it in her car, thereby saving me having to carry it all around. 

The Faroes are a place I will definitely come back to. Sadly I haven't seen Mariann. She is a huge inspiration for me coming here. I didn't come to the Faroe Islands simply because she's from here but she gave me the extra motivation to come here, much like how my friend Nora gave me the extra motivation to go to Australia for my maiden journey. Gorgeous and sunny, though very windy, I got some nice shots of Torshavn.

My fortunes would change today as I was picked up by a local named Hanus. He's a support worker for both children and adults with special needs and immediately took an interest in both my story and my journey. I would introduce him to geocaching and then he invited me to his home before taking me on a grand tour of Vagar. It was my first time in Vagar since arriving a few days ago and I visited a number of places on both Hanus' and Mariann's suggestions. Múlafossur at Gásadalur would be the absolute highlight of my day. I had to cling to my hat!

It turns out Hanus knows Mariann, and even went to high school with her. Hanus would help put the exclamation point on a fantastic five days in the Faroe Islands. With a combination of the strike, my time here being be short, and not being able to drive, I feel I did a lot during my time here despite the circumstances. The only sad parts are that I'm not staying longer and that I didn't get to see Mariann, as she's an important part of my Faroese story. She did tell me, however, that she was busy during my time here. I will most certainly be back to the Faroe Islands and we'll have an opportunity someday to get a photo together. Svartafoss is right in the middle of Torshavn.

With some time to burn before the ferry departs, I made a few final geocache finds to give myself 30 finds in the Faroe Islands: a nice, round number with no DNFs (did not find). A glass of wine at a Faroese pub with a kiss from a Faroese girl would be a nice, final touch in Føroyar. Wishing I could stay longer, I walked slowly toward the MS Norröna, got my ticket, and put my stuff in my cabin. Mariann suggested not taking the ferry but I opted for the ferry for two reasons: to experience Faroese transport the old-school way and to get some rest whilst enjoying some sea views. With a tear in my eye as the ship set sail, I had to watch these majestic islands get smaller and smaller as the ocean grew so vast. A seed has been planted in my heart, and it shall blossom into a tree that's my love for the Faroe Islands. 

For the next couple of days I'll be at sea, getting some rest as I prepare for a big adventure around mainland Europe. 

Add your comments

(If you have a travel question, get your Answers here)

In order to avoid spam on these blogs, please enter the code you see in the image. Comments identified as spam will be deleted.


About kiwiaoraki


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Faroe Islands

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.