Existing Member?

Many Adventures of a Nomadic Poet A young poet with Asperger's makes travel his passion, and away he goes...

Aalborg

DENMARK | Wednesday, 5 June 2024 | Views [28]

As Denmark's fourth largest city and the birthplace of Jorn Utzon, designer of the Sydney Opera House, Aalborg is a captivating place. When I arrived in Hirtshals yesterday I really felt like crap as I had a hangover. I partied hard on the ferry with that "you only live once" philosophy. I'm thankful that I experienced both forms of travel to and from the Faroes, and I would like to do the ferry to Iceland someday. I would say goodbye to Eydna and thank her for hosting me before we continued on our respective journeys. I wasn't able to arrange a lift on the ferry and I had to wait about half an hour before someone stopped, only for them to forget they had no room in their back seats. Before long I was picked up by a couple of Danish girls, and I wanted to sleep straight away but it was only about a 30-minute drive to Aalborg. My latest CouchSurfing host is Martyna. She's a very adorable Polish girl with two black rabbits that are equally adorable. I clambered with my heavy bag up her steep stairs, put my bag down, gave Martyna a hug to thank her, and then put my head down. I tried to sleep before the hangover was a distant memory, and then I mustered up the energy to get out and explore. When days are this long at the start of the Danish summer, it's best to be out there! Founded in 1342, Aalborg, like many European cities, show how young cities in the USA and in Australia are by comparison. Cute, quaint, and colourful are the best words to describe Aalborg. Compact fits that description as well as it's an easy city to explore by foot or bicycle as there are many places to walk. Martyna asked me if I wanted some suggestions or if I just wanted to go with the flow. I went for the latter. One thing I really love about Europe is that in many cities, no matter where you end up there will be something interesting, and safety isn't usually an issue. In places like Africa, India, Latin America, or even the USA, you don't simply want to end up in some random area of a city, especially at night. A few weeks ago as the train was pulling into Delhi, I planned on getting off a few stops prior and taking a taxi the rest of the way but these guys said firmly "don't get off here! This is a bad area." 

Once I was outside I walked with glee with my phone in one and and a bag and pen in the other (for collecting cans and bottles and signing geocaches, respectively). Did I mention colour? 

My friend Renee, who is on a quest to be the first person in a wheelchair to visit every country, said she really enjoyed Denmark. Aalborg is in Jutland, which is the largest section of Denmark. Having dealt with a hangover and being tired from arriving on the ferry, I didn't look at a map of Aalborg or see what standout sights there are; I decided today to wander aimlessly and see what's out there. Today is Constitution Day, meaning that many places are closed for the day. It rained and then it was sunny and then it would rain again as the weather was like a light switch for most of the day. Perhaps the most interesting place I ended up at on my serendipitous walk of Aalborg was Kildeparken. "Singing Trees" were planted by various musicians after performing here in Aalborg, and you can press a button on a small post next to the tree to hear their music. The Utzon Centre is closed today, so I'll have to save it for a future trip. Soaking up the colour of Aalborg was the highlight of the day. 

Even though it was still light out, I walked myself until I couldn't walk anymore. At the end of today my feet are all cracked and beat up after so much walking. My feet and thumb have served me well after nearly 40 years on Earth, and I sure hope they'll serve me for at least another 40. Just as I was about to make a frozen pizza, Martyna brought me some pad thai that a friend of hers made, and it was very lovely. Martyna and I would chat about one of my more interesting travel memories, and that was in '18 I stayed with a CouchSurfing host named Amelia in New York City. She had a rabbit that she purchased with food stamps; it was intended to be cooked and eaten but she instead kept it as a pet. Her rabbit chewed a hole in my rucksack and ate some of my tea bags but I still had a great time and I'll never forget Amelia and her rabbit. Martyna would give me some suggestions for Poland, which I plan to visit in a few weeks. 

Aalborg just as colourful as the Lego I've always played with, but my Danish adventures continue...

 

Add your comments

(If you have a travel question, get your Answers here)

In order to avoid spam on these blogs, please enter the code you see in the image. Comments identified as spam will be deleted.


About kiwiaoraki


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Denmark

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.