Existing Member?

Many Adventures of a Nomadic Poet A young poet with Asperger's makes travel his passion, and away he goes...

My Dream being Stolen?

ARGENTINA | Monday, 20 November 2017 | Views [831] | Comments [1]

Antarctica is so close! I’ve always had a great dream, and that’s to reach all seven continents unassisted, either with money or with personal assistance, and be (perhaps) the first person on the autism spectrum to travel unassisted to the full 7. For many years I’ve had many obstacles to my great dream: having to help family (and friends) financially, being out of work, inability to get time off work, and other commitments. I’ve always found ways over various obstacles to reach the first six continents. Gabriel received an email this morning, stating that the company wants me to get a doctor’s note stating that I’m fine to travel to Antarctica. My heart absolutely sank! I fear doctors as much as some people fear flying. With my head on the desk I was in tears, similar to the other day when I found out Keating passed away. I haven’t had a regular doctor since I was about 11 years old, and although I had a short visit to a doctor last year in Samoa, it’s still a large fear that's easier said than done to get over. Gabriel asked me to think of anyone I know of with a medical licence, but I have no family or close friends who are doctors, and I know of nobody who has met me personally who has a medical licence. Gabriel assured me that we were gonna find a way to get me to Antarctica.

As I left to withdraw some cash from an ATM, I had a chip on my shoulder to another degree: “how dare someone judge me like that due to having autism! I’m sure they wouldn’t act this way if someone was black, gay, Mexican, or Muslim.” Seriously, I’ve been to North Korea, Ethiopia, Tokelau, and Somalia, unassisted with no guidance or difficulties whatsoever. I get to Ushuaia, the nearest I’ve ever been to reaching my ultimate dream, and I’m faced with this barrier. It’s as if some people are holding a vendetta against me, trying to rip my dream out of my hands, and hope I only reach as far as the bottom of South America simply because they're bitter and jealous! My mind started to race, and I reached out to three people who don’t have medical licences but either have children with autism and/or are active in and knowledgeable in the autism field. This is one of those rare times I wish I never mentioned autism. I’m this close to my dream and people are trying to steal it from me!

After reaching Doreen, a mother of a friend from Year 9 (9th grade) who has three sons with autism, and Trish, who is a behavioral therapist for children with autism, I was a bit more relaxed. Dave, a CouchSurfing host whom I've stayed with in NZ on three occasions, also offered to write me a character reference. Gabriel advised me to enjoy the day and that the matter will be sorted. He said that, worst case scenario, we’ll start from scratch for a different departure and not even mention autism or my blog. I’m set on this journey though! I’ve been promised a suite for $6,200 for this coming Saturday, and I’m dead set on it! With my mind only somewhat at ease, I took Juliett for a flight but I had to land her early because it was too windy. My dream shall not be stolen, and I shall make it to Antarctica. How dare anybody try to steal my dream from me!!!!!!!!

Comments

1

You go, boy! You'll make all your dreams come true, nobody can stop you. Regards from Chile. I'm also a traveller.

  Carola Mar 5, 2018 4:31 AM

About kiwiaoraki


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Argentina

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.