Existing Member?

Many Adventures of a Nomadic Poet A young poet with Asperger's makes travel his passion, and away he goes...

All Systems Go! Antarctica Awaits!

ARGENTINA | Friday, 24 November 2017 | Views [186]

Only a few days ago I was told that Poseidon Expeditions was reluctant to allow me to join the expedition to Antarctica. I felt angry, hurt, betrayed, and discriminated against. Gabi told me to just take my mind off of the matter, which I did my best, but it still really f*@%ing hurt! Was I really coming all this way to only make it as far south as Ushuaia? Just the other day I whipped out my credit card at Freestyle Adventure Travel and said "book it" before sitting at a restaurant with a large pizza and a bottle of wine, but between yesterday and today I've been faced with this dilemma. With not much I could do, I got out there and enjoyed this lovely town and the surrounding area as best I could. Although very remote, it sure is a gorgeous place! The other day I started the world's southernmost geocaching power trail called the Fire Heart. It's a combination of traditional and mystery caches along a hiking trail on the outskirts of town. People move to Ushuaia from all over Argentina due to job opportunities and high wages; the trail starts in a seemingly wealthy area of town. Finding the first couple of mystery caches wasn't difficult, and then I got my boots wet in the snow with a gorgeous view! Wow, look at the colour!!

Due to snow covering the area, I had to abandon the rest of my geocaching mission, but I did find four caches out of a possible 16. Gabi called me as I stood there admiring the stupendous view, saying "Chris, where are you? They've sent the forms as if you're on!" Three different people wrote character references for me, and I owe a big "muchos gracias" to my friends Dave, in New Zealand, and Trish and Doreen, both in California. Due to being in such a remote area I couldn't get into the office that day, but I did so the following day and filled out all the forms. I'm officially going to Antarctica! My dream is now super close and my smile was now beaming! For the past few days I've been staying with a really lovely and beautiful lady named Marcia. She's an avid Disney fan and has the prettiest light blue eyes. I should add that she gives a really nice hug. Her flat is tiny, and she holds the distinction of being my most southerly CouchSurfing host. I'll admit I really like Marcia. 

Yesterday I opted for a trek to Glaciar Martial. I made poor progress with the Fire Heart but thought I'll have a go for some geocaches and fine views at one of Ushuaia's premier skiing spots (in winter). It's been snowing recently, and there was still an abundance of snow as I trekked purposefully toward the glacier. I was warned to turn back (understandably) if it got too foggy. I should note that whilst I have hiking boots, I don't have crampons or high boots for trudging through snow and ice. I didn't make it all the way to the glacier but I had some wonderful views along the way.

 

It was my friend, Keating's dream to go to Antarctica. He and his wife, Amanda were planning on going for his 40th birthday but then she got pregnant with their daughter. The other day she said "I wish you had Keating's ashes" so I suggested she mail some of them to me. I gave her Paulo's address, the CouchSurfing host whom I stayed with the other day. All we could do is hope they arrive in time, and they did so yesterday with two days to spare! Paulo is an absolute legend for receiving them for me. 

As an apology for what I was put through, tonight I was put up at the Arakur: an exquisite hotel boasting fabulous views of Ushuaia, the surrounding valley, and the Beagle Channel. As the most expensive hotel in Ushuaia, my room is valued at $760 per night! I had planned on staying with Marcia this evening, and then I planned on inviting her to stay with me at Arakur. However, it turns out I'm sharing my room with a Swiss guy named Roger. He is also joining the Antarctic expedition tomorrow. After the hotel bellboy helped me carry my bags to my room (I'm so unused to such impeccable service) I took the charity shuttle back into town. As a pre-celebration I thought I'd have dinner at a namesake restaurant...

Argentines love their steak, and so do I. Tonight I went for a thick, juicy steak with chimichurri.

Chimichurri is sauce used in both cooking and with grilled meat, and is made with finely chopped parsley, minced garlic, oregano, olive oil, and red wine vinegar. Paulo nor Marcia were able to join me tonight, so I sat alone as Christopher at Christopher Grill & Cerveza, gorging on my steak. Steak with a couple glasses of red wine, although pricey, were a worthy dinner for the evening before setting sail for the White Continent. Before long I was back at the Arakur, relaxing in the spa overlooking the bright lights of Ushuaia.

This hotel and these views are something for the rich and famous. Tonight I certainly feel like I'm among an elite group of people; something akin to a rock star or a member of a royal family. Tomorrow, I'm officially boarding the MV Sea Spirit. In just a few days I'll be touching down in Antarctica. Just one more sleep, and I'm off to the continent of my dreams...

About kiwiaoraki


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Argentina

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.