Existing Member?

Many Adventures of a Nomadic Poet A young poet with Asperger's makes travel his passion, and away he goes...

Ye Olde Van Diemen's Land

AUSTRALIA | Thursday, 21 April 2016 | Views [575]

Launceston seemingly out of a painting

Launceston seemingly out of a painting

Tasmania I reckon; ya olde Van Diemen's Land mate! I reckon the name was changed because the former name would be a pretty ominous name to a hitchhiker; I wouldn't want to get into a van with a demon. A couple of days ago I stepped off the plane absolutely bleary-eyed at Launceston's tiny airport. A sniffer dog took a piss on someone's luggage. Fruit and vegetables even from the mainland are not allowed to be brought into Tasmania. Carrying over my recommended weight of gear I was picked up by a lovely lady named Julie. The first car I stuck my thumb out for, and she picked me up and dropped me straight at Jared's doorstep. Jared is my latest CS host. Forget AirBnB; I'm determined to keep the dream and spirit of CouchSurfing alive. Hosting someone should be about a cultural rather than a monetary exchange.

Flights to "Tassie" are so cheap it's remarkable the Spirit of Tasmania still operates; $64 for a 1-hour flight versus $158 for a 12-hour ferry ride. Gazing at Launceston from Jared's balcony you could be forgiven for thinking you're in a small city in Bavaria or somewhere along the Rhine. Launceston has perhaps Australia's best collection of preserved historic buildings and is situated on the Tamar River, Tassie's longest estruary. Yesterday I went in a photo safari Launceston's collection of buildings.

Yesterday the weather was absolutely gorgeous but, as they reckon in Tassie, the weather can foul very quickly. Today was typical Tassie weather: cold, wet, and dreary. Jared said "you should get boots for the Overland Track; I wouldn't trek in thongs at this time of year." Since I'm heading back to NZ in just a few weeks I knew they'd be a good investment. I forgot to mention that I've now been to every state and territory in Australia. If you get technical, I still haven't been to some of the smaller territories (Christmas Island, Australian Antarctic Territory, etc). In search of lunch, I wondered why fish & chips are so expensive here. A dedicated fish & chip restaurant (not simply a shack) on the waterfront charges $24 for basic fish & chips. In the end I called in for a pizza at Sails by the River. The pretty lass behind the bar isn't all that interested in travel but we had some good chats as I observed yachts in the harbour.

Tonight I was invited by a CouchSurfer named Ebony to a comedy show where I got to strut my stuff. Ebony is white and calls herself a "walking contradiction" and as she's bi-polar, one of my jokes during the evening is that the world is bi-polar. The best was how I met this lady in Hobart who works as a tour guide by day and a prostitute by night, therefore she provides two types of maps of Tassie ("Mappa Tassie" is a slang term for vagina). After the rigours of the streets of Melbourne, Tassie comes as a nice change. For now I'm on a walkabout. In a few days I'm walking the Overland Track, and Tassie shall be an undetermined length of bliss.

About kiwiaoraki


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.