Existing Member?

Many Adventures of a Nomadic Poet A young poet with Asperger's makes travel his passion, and away he goes...

Overland Track - It Starts

AUSTRALIA | Sunday, 24 April 2016 | Views [678]

Colourful fungi on the Overland Track

Colourful fungi on the Overland Track

Today was the first day and hardest bit of the Overland Track. The weather was brilliant today yet it was very cold last night; cold enough that frost formed on my tent and boots. With all my gear packed up I walked across the road to the holiday park where I paid $5 for a shower; expensive but willing since I won't be having another shower for a week. For the next six or seven days I'll be in the bush. A shuttle van takes walkers to the start of the track, and here's where it starts.

The first few hundre metres are flat but then it was largely uphill. The Overland Track isn't technically difficult but the length is the main thing. It's said to be one of the most beautiful walks in the world, and only weeks ago did I sense a voice telling me to walk the track. Exhausted yet willful, I made my way to the top with a view.

As my first multiday walk since the Simien Mountains three years ago, it's a sort of preparation for (if I ever do) the walk to the South Pole. Melbourne is an endless cycle of poetry and comedy, so I need to get my fitness, energy, and stamina back in order. Sometime next year I'd like to walk the Kokoda Track and it's supposed to be much tougher than this. After reaching the summit of the toughest part of the track I enjoyed a muesli bar with a view of both Cradle Mountain and Barn Bluff.

There's a historic hut nearby called Kitchen Hut but there's no kitchen, and I really wanted some water so I filled up from a nearby stream. Last night I had great difficulty sleeping so I was worn out and not up for the side trip up Cradle Mountain so I rested for a few minutes and carried on.

When I go trekking I don't usually rest for more than five minutes. The time to Waterfall Valley Hut is 4-6 hours but I did it in 4 hours, 15 minutes. After a long day of trekking, seeing the hut feels like seeing light at the end of the tunnel; it's a place to set your bag down, warm up, and have that "ahhhhh" feeling after a long day. Tonight I tucked into some instant noodles for dinner. I feel like I have much more gear than I thought so I'd like to eat a bit of food early in the trek to lighten my pack. The hut is close to full tonight, including a group from Country Victoria. After two tough nights of camping I was fortunate to get a hut bunk; the early bird gets the worm as there's limited space in each hut. It's recommended that you bring a tent even if you plan to sleep in the hut, and many walkers prefer to camp to avoid loud snoring and smelly socks. Tonight I'm sleeping in the hut regardless of sounds and smells. It was very cold tonight but with everyone using their cookers inside the hut was nice and warm. Tomorrow I'm ready for more as a lot of the 80 km Overland Track remain!

 

About kiwiaoraki


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.