Existing Member?

Many Adventures of a Nomadic Poet A young poet with Asperger's makes travel his passion, and away he goes...

A beautiful day in Reykjavik

ICELAND | Saturday, 23 June 2007 | Views [3101]

Sun Craft after midnight

Sun Craft after midnight

Today was my 11th and final full day in the Land of Ice and Fire. So, I’ll tell you all about it. I woke up at 9:00 and washed up and just hung out for a bit. It was really beautiful today, without a cloud in the sky. I left my tent at the campground and started heading toward downtown. The ocean looked very beautiful with the sun shimmering. I walked past the Sun Craft and got a few pictures. It looked better with a blue sky in the background. I then went into downtown and stopped at the Salvation Army for a cup of tea. I hung out for a bit and then went to the Pizza King, but they weren’t open yet so I went back to the Salvation Army. At 12:15 I started walking to Ísak’s house. I stopped at the store for a bag of chips and a soda before getting to his house. I asked him about getting pizza and going to the geothermal beach that the girl at the campground told me about earlier. He was alright with that. I checked my mail and Mr. Hanley said they were voting to authorize a strike at work. Oh no! I don’t want to be out of work again! I was starting to feel upset because Chrissy emailed me last night about her thing, and now the possibility of another strike (there was one at my work three years ago). But, it’s not the end of the world and I’m in Iceland. So, I shouldn’t be upset. At 1:00, Ísak and I headed out. He told me about Devito’s, which is his favorite pizza place. So we drove there. Ísak got a slice and I got a personal pizza. I used to work with someone whose last name is Devito, so I photographed the sign on the way out. We then headed off to the geothermal beach, which is near Reykjavik Airport. I was surprised that it’s a real beach. It was a nice enough day that I saw girls in bikinis. The water wasn’t all that warm and I didn’t have my bathers on, so neither of us went swimming. Ísak was surprised to hear that I hadn’t been to the Perlan, so we took a drive up there next. The Perlan is home to the Saga Museum. We didn’t go there, but we just walked around. Ísak told me that the Perlan’s restaurant is the most expensive in Iceland. We then went up to the top balcony so I can get good photos of Reykjavik on a cloudless day. In the distance, I could even see Snæfellsjökull. It was very windy and cold up there (on the balcony). We only spent about a half hour at the Perlan. Ísak then had to see if he needed to pick up Þorbjörg from work. He had to pick her up later. So we drove back to Ísak’s neighborhood and I was curious as to what was up on the little peninsula that’s slightly northwest of his house. We took a drive up there and saw a lighthouse and a few other interesting things. We then drove back to his house and just relaxed. I checked my email and any news related to the possible strike. Ísak had to go to a family dinner tonight. At 5:30, we went to pick up Þorbjörg, and Ísak wanted some beer. We then drove to the Vín Búð liquor store. After getting some beer, we went to Þorbjörg’s house for a few minutes. Ísak, Þorbjörg and I then drove into the city center and I had them drop me off in front of the Salvation Army. Ísak told me to call him at 10:00 so that we could hang out one final time. I got a cup of tea at the Salvation Army before leaving. I stopped at the gift shop and got a magnet and five postcards. I’ve only bought a handful of souvenirs since I’ve been here. Afterward, I realized that I hadn’t visited a McDonald’s in Iceland. The nearest one was at the mall. It was quite a walk, but it’s near the campground. I had to walk back there anyway to book the airport bus for tomorrow. I walked back to the campground and I saw Heath and Jody again. They shared some of their tuna noodles with me, even though I kind of think that tuna has the potential to give you autism. I sat with them for a short time and then walked to the mall, where I heard there was a McDonald’s. On the way I passed all the posh hotels. One of them, the Nordica Hotel, goes for like $300 a night. I can’t stand hotels! The mall was closed by the time I got there. However, this kid pointed me in the right direction of a McDonald’s only a few blocks away, so I walked over there. I got my usual fare: Chicken McNuggets, French Fries, Diet Coke. It was 849 kronur (about $13). I have now been to McDonald’s in the U.S., Australia, New Zealand, and Iceland. It’s nothing really special; it’s just for fun. After eating I walked quickly back to the campsite because I had to call Ísak. I got a shortcut through the Gardens that are situated just south of the campground. There was some event going on at the place next door to the campground, so there was a lot of noise. Ísak said he was going downtown for the runtur, but he was still at his friend’s house. The runtur is an event in Reykjavik held every Friday and Saturday night where people go bar hopping. Iceland has some of the highest priced alcohol in the world, so many people drink at home before a night on the town. I sat for a bit and I decided to walk downtown at midnight. Up at the waterfront, I got a photo of me just after midnight when the sun had set only moments before. I then walked on the rocks and past the Sun Craft and took photos of it with the sunset in the background. I got into town at about 12:30. I called Ísak but he hadn’t called the taxi yet. He said he’d be here shortly. I hung out outside the Sólon and talked to some pretty girls. This cute Icelandic girl wanted a photo of us kissing through the fence, so we took one. I actually got to kiss an Icelandic girl! Let me tell you, Reykjavik is the ultimate party scene on weekends. The city is said to have the best nightlife in all of Europe. People just get all out drunk here. Ísak showed up with Þorbjörg at about 1:30 AM, and we started walking to this place. I met Þorbjörg’s friend Ruth. She was very cute! We took a photo of us giving each other a nice, warm hug.

It’s good to keep warm in the Iceland cold. We hung out with her for awhile and then went to this bar. It was really crowded, but I met some pretty girls. I even had a sip of Ísak’s beer to toast a good time in Iceland. We hung out there for like an hour. The sun came out at about 3:00 AM. The three of us walked around and then visited one of Þorbjörg’s other friends. At about 3:30, they decided to call it a night because Þorbjörg had to work early. I walked with them to the taxi stop and shared a very emotional goodbye with them. I will miss them very, very much! I don’t know how to thank them enough. Every time I’ve traveled, at least one person has helped me out in at least one way, but Ísak and Þorbjörg really helped me to make the most of my time in Iceland. I was alone again. By about 4:00 AM, the streets were a mess and there was broken glass from beer bottles and cups everywhere. I stopped at the waffle truck and got a waffle topped with chocolate and whipped cream. Very interesting and good! Afterward, I realized the Pizza King was still open, so I went in and got a pizza. They have some excellent pizza here! I sat down to eat and the sun was fully out. After I ate, I decided to start heading back to the campground. I went passed a number of people still out partying and having a good time. I’m great at having a good time without even a drop of alcohol. The walk to the campground was about a half hour. I felt really emotional and I wanted to cry because Iceland and its people have been great to me! I sat at the table at the campground just to clear my mind. At 5:00, I went and lay down hoping to get some sleep. I’ll see you tomorrow.

Tags: culture

About kiwiaoraki


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Iceland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.