Existing Member?

Many Adventures of a Nomadic Poet A young poet with Asperger's makes travel his passion, and away he goes...

Fitzroy Island

AUSTRALIA | Tuesday, 9 January 2007 | Views [2624]

I’ll talk about my first day in Australia and in tropical Cairns. I woke up at 8:00 after being so exhausted after all those flights yesterday. I took a shower and washed up. My shower doesn’t even have a full door on it. After showering, I left and walked down Sheridan Street trying to decide on what to do. I got a Red Bull and a bottle of water at a grocery store. On the way out, I started talking to this guy. He walked with me as we talked but he started to worry me, so I walked into a tour place and he kept walking. He asked me if I had ever been robbed before. However, I asked about a snorkeling tour, but they all leave at 7:45 AM. I really wanted to go diving, but I’m still not feeling 100%. The snorkeling tour I want to do is $80. I’ll have to come back tomorrow. So, I kept walking into Cairns and looked for a tour place. It was already hot and muggy. I was told this is the wet season, but I haven’t seen any rain yet. Cairns is my first place visiting an “A” climate region (on the Köppen scale). I went to a tour place on the Esplanade and bought a ferry ticket to Fitzroy Island. It was $42. I walked down near the lagoon and stopped at the police station for directions to the Reef Front Terminal. I kept walking past all the ritzy hotels and waited. I took some pictures and talked to this family from Perth, which is hot at this time of year too. The boat showed up at 10:25 and I got on. This place is amazing! It’s a land like nowhere else! On the boat I met three girls from Switzerland. They were beautiful. I got a picture with each of them and we hung out and talked. I couldn’t stop snapping pictures of the sea and the green. You can definitely tell it’s tropical. I also met this girl named Laura from Delaware. She was here with some friends and they all attend the University of Delaware. I got a picture of her as well. The ferry ride lasted about an hour. Once I got off the boat, I was so amazed! Instead of sand on the beach, there are pieces of dead coral.

I filled up my water bottle and paid $3 to go on the sea trampoline. I checked in my camera and put on my snorkeling gear and started swimming out to the trampoline. I saw some aquatic plants on the way through my mask. I climbed up onto the trampoline and saw the same girls from Switzerland I saw earlier. I played catch with a football with this guy named Fred, also from Delaware. I died a few flips on the trampoline, but I hurt my leg doing so. Knock wood I didn’t tear a ligament or anything, because I don’t have travel insurance. I teased this one girl named Britney about how her bathing suit said “Roxy” on it. She’s also from Delaware. After a half hour, I jumped off the trampoline and snorkeled back to shore. This seawater is very salty. I can tell from getting it in my mouth. I sat with Laura and the rest of the people from Delaware. I found a heart-shaped coral piece and gave it to Laura. She’s so pretty. Britney wanted a heart too. She told me it’s so cool that I can travel alone like I do. I hung out with them for like an hour and then decided that I wanted to see the rest of Fitzroy Island. I forgot to charge my camera battery last night, so I was low on battery. I got a Red Bull and filled up my water bottle and started walking. It was so magical! I could hear creatures that I’ve never heard before. It was a tropical rainforest. I saw a Ulysses butterfly (which is bright blue), a snake, and a lot of lizards. I zoomed in and got a photo of a lizard. Pictures of wildlife are so difficult to take and even harder to master. I started walking up, and I read about cays, which are like reef islands. I could see one from where I was walking. The walk up was very tough and the trail was rough. I should have brought my hiking boots. The ocean looks stunning from up there. I continued on and then noticed the boulders are actually shaped into stairs. Another interesting thing I noticed was a tree stump that it kind of shaped like Australia, and I got a photo of that.

The walk up was so exerting. I turned back just a short distance from the summit. On the way back down, I ran for a little bit on the track, and I was hearing this bird that sounded like a kookaburra. This place is like the Amazon Jungle because you hear all these weird creatures that you’re not used to hearing. It was 3:20 by the time I made it to the bottom of the track, and I stopped for an interesting photo of some boulders and the ocean. Near the resort, I found a beautiful white and yellow feather, but I left it behind. I can’t take everything home. I filled up my water bottle and started walking toward the other beach. It was another walk through the rainforest I had to take. After walking for around 20 minutes I got to the beach, but there was no one there, so I started walking back. Then I saw Fred and the girls from Switzerland again. I sat with them for about a half hour and we even found a baby octopus on the beach. We all walked to the ferry together. I wanted to get a Fitzroy Island postcard, but the stand had already closed. I was told I could get one on the mainland. My shoes got soaked and worried that I may have to trash them if I can’t dry them. I picked up a nice piece of coral as I was leaving Fitzroy Island, just as I picked up volcanic rocks on Rangitoto Island last year. At 5:00, we got on the ferry. I waved goodbye to the beautiful Fitzroy Island and I just enjoyed the seascape. I love Australia as a whole, and I feel like I’m on another planet more than another continent. The ferry ride was an hour long and I sat with Fred and the Swiss girls. I got Fred’s email and he told me about something that was going on at the Woolshed tonight and that the people from Delaware would be there. We then parted ways. I stopped at a shop and got an Australia bag and a few postcards. The guy at the shop picked on me for placing my shoes on the counter, but I should have known better. Altogether I spent $11. I stopped at an internet café and I got a few emails. After leaving I got a Diet Coke in a skinny can. You don’t see that back home. I was starving, so I stopped at Domino’s and got a pizza. I ate it on the way back to my room. I should have brought my scooter because it’s a long walk! I seriously thought about bringing it to Australia before leaving, but I decided not to. I got to my room and I took a cool shower. I’m severely sunburned! My face, neck, arms, and legs are all burnt. At 9:00, I started walking toward the Woolshed. I had trouble finding it, but I made it. It was very loud in there and I had a splitting headache. I saw Laura again and another one of the guys from Delaware. I sat with Laura for a little bit, but I didn’t stay long because of my headache. Earlier I got some thongs (flip-flops) but they feel so uncomfortable, so I walked barefoot through the grass back to my room. I then took a nice cool bath to ease my sunburn and lay down with a wet towel draped over my back. Well, I have to get up very early tomorrow if I want to go out to the Reef, so I’ve got to go to sleep. Good night.

Tags: adventures


Add your comments

(If you have a travel question, get your Answers here)

In order to avoid spam on these blogs, please enter the code you see in the image. Comments identified as spam will be deleted.

About kiwiaoraki

Follow Me

Where I've been


Photo Galleries


Near Misses

My trip journals

See all my tags 



Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.