Existing Member?

Many Adventures of a Nomadic Poet A young poet with Asperger's makes travel his passion, and away he goes...

Taking it easy in Lax-embourg

LUXEMBOURG | Sunday, 23 March 2008 | Views [1091]

Notre-Dame Cathedral

Notre-Dame Cathedral

Today was another great day in Europe. I woke up at 8:30 and everyone else was already up except Tristan. He's very generous and even allows us to have breakfast. I had corn flakes and a cup of Indian chai tea. I went upstairs and took a shower and washed up. His apartment is four floors and has three bathrooms. Buildings are very unique here in Luxembourg. I relaxed and emailed everyone before I got ready to set out on my bicycle for the day. It was sunny but very cold out. It feels even colder for me because I don't have a hat and I'm riding a bike, so the wind chill factor gets to me. It couldn't have been warmer than 35 degrees out. Street signs here are rather creative and I took a photo of Avenue Marie-Therese sign to show I've been to Luxembourg. I rode into the centre of town and explored. I noticed some beautiful churches and bridges, and some of the homes are built down in a ravine. The Notre-Dame Cathedral is very unique and has three steeples. Being a rich country, homes are huge out here. I cycled outside of town for about a mile or two thinking about cycling to the French border, but it was so cold that I felt like a block of ice. My lips and ears felt frozen. Some drivers out here are very inconsiderate, as a few of them were honking at me for no apparent reason. I cycled back into town and took in the sight of some of the very beautiful buildings. I ventured down into the ravine for a bit and took photos of the bridge above the homes. Afterward I headed back toward Tristan's apartment. Tristan is a guy, but the first girl that I ever dated...her name was also Tristan. That was when I was in 5th grade. I stopped at the gas station and got a Red Bull and some pasta mix. When I was in Iceland, I bought a packet of the same kind of pasta and I couldn't read the instructions, and I couldn't have anyone interpret them for me because they weren't in Icelandic. Back at the apartment, Tristan did the interpreting for me so I could cook my lunch. It's better than eating McDonald's every single day. Speaking of which, Luxembourg has McDonald's too. You'll be hard-pressed to go anywhere nowadays and not see the famed golden arches. In London, I took a photo of the Marble Arch with the golden arches (McDonald's) in the background. The world is littered with Starbucks as well; my geography professor, John Carthew showed us a photo of Starbucks at Tianamen Square. However I haven't seen any of those in Luxembourg. After lunch, I said goodbye to Erika and a couple of others who stayed here last night. They were heading home after taking Easter break off. If I hosted anyone from around the world, I don't think I could host more than one person at a time because I still live at home and my home is barely large enough to fit me and my family. Tristan hosted like six people last night. I then relaxed and spent some time at the computer and then slept for like three hours. I rarely take naps, but I needed one because this has been one long, arduous, and sometimes difficult, journey. I woke up at about 6:30 and it was getting dark out. I decided to walk up to the gas station and get some munchies. I got some milk, pudding mix and some cookies. When I got back I took a shower and then relaxed and called Teressa. I sure miss her! She should be on this trip with me. I had a cup of Russian citrus tea and hung out at the computer for awhile. I'm not sure what's on my agenda for tomorrow, but it'll be another adventurous one! See you soon!

About kiwiaoraki


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Luxembourg

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.