Existing Member?

Many Adventures of a Nomadic Poet A young poet with Asperger's makes travel his passion, and away he goes...

Townships of Windhoek

NAMIBIA | Monday, 12 June 2023 | Views [226] | Comments [1]

Via CouchSurfing I've stayed almost everywhere in just about every type of accommodation imaginable. From the projects of Upper Manhattan to a mansion used as an embassy in Qatar, I've stayed with all types of people in so many different places. I've CouchSurfed on boats, pitched my tent in paddocks, been to Mayan ceremonies, and been treated like royalty as a result of CouchSurfing. I met my good friend, Craig Smith, when he hosted me. My experience in Windhoek is unlike any other that I've ever experienced as I'm staying in the township of Goreangab. In a tin shack I'm staying with a beautiful lady named Trifaine.

She works as a paramedic, and her family is lovely.

A whole kudu head is on display. 

In these parts, people really make do with the various essentials: mobile phones, alcohol, gambling, laughter, and positivity. Homes are built out of whatever is available, and the vibe is very communal as both clothes and bits of meat are hung out on lines to dry. Going for a walk through Goreangab is an experience in itself but Trifaine recommended leaving my mobile phone locked up at her home. Just across from their home is a place curiously called the Kangaroo Pub (there are no kangaroos in Namibia). At night I was told not to stray too far away as I'm most definitely the only foreigner here. I forgot to add that I'm the first CouchSurfer she's hosted.

Windhoek (pronounced VIND-huuk) is one of the world's more unknown capital cities. Situated at an altitude higher than Denver, Colorado, it is one of the world's highest capitals. Whisked by Trifaine's brother in his taxi into town, it was time to explore the magic of Namibia's capital. Like many places, one doesn't come to Namibia specifically to go to the capital but it's worth a wander whilst you're here. I was dropped at the Windhoek Railway Station. 

Built in 1912 and extended in 1929, the station adds a nice Dutch touch to the city. St. Marien Cathedral was next on my Windhoek wander. 

After collecting a couple of geocaches I would end up at Windhoek's most iconic building: Christuskirke

Any postcard of Windhoek will feature this magnificent church. From there I was interested in a bit of history at the Independence Museum. The first president of Namibia was Sam Nujoma, and his image graces the country's banknotes. Namibia is the only country in the world to issue a $30 note, to commemorate 30 years of independence. Namibia's history may not be as tragic as that of many other African countries but as South West Africa, it practiced apartheid under white minority rule and the road to independence was a lengthy process. 

Namibia's flag is one of my favourites. The blue represents the Namibian sky and ocean, red is the people, green is agriculture and vegetation, white is peace, and the 12 rays of the sun represent the 12 ethnic groups of the country. Namibia is my 70th country on my travel list. 70 countries I've now visited, and I have at least 70 more to go. Rather strategically, there is a restaurant on the upper floor with a view of Windhoek. 

A bite to eat and a beer were in order after a lovely afternoon in Windhoek. I had hoped to visit the Parliament Building but it's required to come early for a tour. I couldn't finish my walk without doing some geocaching as there are about a dozen of them in the downtown area. The sun was dipping toward the horizon so I called Trifaine's brother to take me home. From being out with my camera and soaking up the history of Namibia, it was time to be more reserved in Goreangab. With my camera put away, kudu was drying for a pasta feast this evening. 

Dinner was a most interesting concoction with pasta and dried kudu, which I washed down with a Windhoek lager. Up late I stayed, doing what locals out here do best: drink, listen to music, and socialise. Staying with Trifaine and her family is an absolutely lovely, albiet different, experience. Why would I stay at the Hilton when I sleep in a tin shack in a township? 

 

Comments

1

I am a retired Tanzanian with a keen interest in visiting Namibia sometime next year - staying in any Township of Windhoek - given the small budget I can afford. But I don't have any contacts there and have no idea on how to go about it. Could you please advise and assist? Preferences include - but not limited to - staying with a family, a cheaper but safe guest house/hostel etc. Please do the needful. Thank you very much.
My Mobile No. is +255 756 645 938

  Noah Mwaikuka Jul 26, 2024 6:03 PM

Add your comments

(If you have a travel question, get your Answers here)

In order to avoid spam on these blogs, please enter the code you see in the image. Comments identified as spam will be deleted.


About kiwiaoraki


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Namibia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.