Existing Member?

Many Adventures of a Nomadic Poet A young poet with Asperger's makes travel his passion, and away he goes...

Bottom of Africa

SOUTH AFRICA | Thursday, 25 May 2023 | Views [166]

Cape Town on a one-way ticket...yessir! After 2 1/2 months in the USA visiting family and spending the time with my Dad, I'm eager to be out exploring the world again. I'll be with all of them again in September when my sister, Ashley gets married. My flight last night wasn't the most fun as a couple of guys on the plane were real assholes. Anyways, I waltzed on into South Africa ready for some adventure, although it was bucketing down when I arrived. As a general rule, you don't want to be just anywhere in South African cities at night so I took an Uber to the home of my latest CouchSurfing host, Gavin. 

When I woke up this morning it was still raining but I wanted to carry as little as possible and get out there. The photo above is my first in South Africa. I called in at the Firebird Cafe for a coffee, and the manager, Antino, was happy that a coffee at his business was my first purchase in South Africa. A local heater would warm me up on this blustery day.

Cool and wet today it was as I walked round Observatory as best I could. South Africa is one of those places where I've heard many stories regarding safety, and I made sure to carry any belongings as best I could. Cape Town has always been one of my dream cities as it boasts an utterly spectacular setting with Table Mountain, Lion's Head, Cape of Good Hope, and a magnificent waterfront. Table Mountain looms like a boss watching over Cape Town. 

Eating out doesn't break the bank in South Africa as I got sweet and sour chicken with hot & sour soup for only $8. There is no tipping culture and the price you see is the price you pay. A cheap bottle of wine only costs about $3 (US). As the rain slowed, I took the bus into central Cape Town where I collected a few geocaches and then went for a walk along the waterfront. It's one area where you can safely have your camera out, and I was sure snap-happy here.

The bars of Nelson Mandela's prison cell are here. 

 

Nelson Mandela is one of a few historical figures I would have loved to have met. He would later say that the view of Table Mountain from Robben Island would keep him going. With the rain being on and off today, I had to take cover a few times along the waterfront. A South African fur seal would seal the day as it was getting rather late. 

It's unfortunate that I can't walk round Cape Town late the same way I could in Perth, London, Tokyo, or Singapore. Even public transport is dodgy here once the sun goes down. 

My first day in South Africa is in the books, and I have a big adventure ahead of me! 

Add your comments

(If you have a travel question, get your Answers here)

In order to avoid spam on these blogs, please enter the code you see in the image. Comments identified as spam will be deleted.


About kiwiaoraki


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about South Africa

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.