Existing Member?

Many Adventures of a Nomadic Poet A young poet with Asperger's makes travel his passion, and away he goes...

Sunny Toronto

CANADA | Sunday, 21 May 2023 | Views [30]

For most Canadians, Toronto is their version of New York City. In a few days I'm starting my big African adventure, and the cheapest flight I could find to South Africa is from Toronto so it gave me the perfect excuse to come here. I had never entered Canada without either being denied entry or having a barrage of questions by immigration officials, so I prepared well. When I crossed the Rainbow Bridge at Niagara Falls I was at the immigration desk for only about 15 seconds, and away I was. Although I hitchhiked to the border, I opted for the bus to Toronto from Niagara. 

My current CouchSurfing host is named Yoga, and he's originally from India. A commanding night view from this 20th floor apartment greeted me last night.

Yoga and his partner, Ambika, would make me breakfast of corn flakes, berries, and fruit. During my 2 1/2 months in the US I probably gained about 10 kg because I was eating like a horse and drinking like a fish, so I need to eat healthy and exercise more. Instead of making a B-line for the CN Tower I opted for a walk along Lake Ontario and then through High Park. Sun and warmth were out in full force today so people were sunbaking on the beach, walking their dogs, running...or just about anything else you can do outdoors. I searched for geocaches, practiced my photography, and dipped my feet into the cold lake. I may bring my bathers and towel tomorrow and take a therapeutic dip into Lake Ontario. From there I walked for a while around High Park. As I searched for a geocache near a baseball field I remarked to the coach "I thought Canadians didn't like baseball" but Toronto is the only Canadian city to host both an MLB team and an NBA team: the Blue Jays and Raptors, respectively. When I'm geocaching near places such as playgrounds or baseball fields and there are kids around, I'll let someone there know what I'm doing so they know I'm not being a creep. My favourite geocache of the day was a little tiny birdhouse in the middle of the woods. High Park is one of those special places that I wouldn't have discovered had I either not stayed with a CSer or been near the area. Obligatory whilst travelling in Canada is a stop at Tim Horton's for some Timbits. 

Called "donut holes" everywhere else, Timbits are to Canada just as Tim Tams and Vegemite are to Australia. Yoga and Ambika made a fabulous lamb curry for lunch so I had the Timbits to share. 

Instead of taking a tram (called streetcars in Toronto), I walked a long way along Queen St. and since it's a long weekend, everywhere was busy. Yoga recommended a walk along Graffiti Alley. I'd be forgiven for thinking I was in Melbourne with some of this work.

After marvelling at the graffiti works and collecting a few more geocaches, Toronto's most famous landmark beckoned.

In addition to it being Sunday, the Blue Jays just finished a game so it was chock-o-block. Entry to the CN Tower is steep at $52 and it was too crowded for comfort. People were hogging all the window space and then complained that I was too close to them after having to hang over them to get photos.

I paid a few extra dollars to go even higher but it was rather claustrophobic. The CN Tower is regarded as a must-do in Toronto but I found it to be a disappointment, and I won't be in any rush to go back there next time I'm in Toronto. I enjoyed High Park and a walk along Lake Ontario on a gorgeous day to be much more peaceful. Whilst not exactly seeing it as a waste of $52 but instead a major disappointment, I took the long walk back to Yoga's home so I could burn off some steam and have yet more lamb curry. Last night I asked Yoga if he wanted to go with me to the CN Tower but he said that he finds it obligatory to go when he has family or friends visiting from India, therefore he's been a few times. 

Word of advice for Toronto: skip the CN Tower, and soak up the multiculturalism in between admiring the street art and walking along Lake Ontario on a sunny day. 

 

Add your comments

(If you have a travel question, get your Answers here)

In order to avoid spam on these blogs, please enter the code you see in the image. Comments identified as spam will be deleted.


About kiwiaoraki


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.