Existing Member?

Many Adventures of a Nomadic Poet A young poet with Asperger's makes travel his passion, and away he goes...

Com

TIMOR-LESTE | Monday, 6 February 2023 | Views [102]

It's not .com but Com that is a (small) dot on the map. A small, quaint fishing village of about 200 people in the far east of "East-East," Com is the type of place where you can easily sit for a few days and do nothing. I arrived yesterday after hitchhiking from Venilale, checked into Sina Guesthouse and opted to sleep in a tent (they have one there already, meaning I didn't have to unpack mine). The sea is blue and warm so I immediately dipped my toes and then explored an old Portuguese pousada that was probably at its best at least 100 years ago.

One of Timor-Leste's very few listed geocaches is supposed to be here but I couldn't find it.

Hot and sweaty, I walked to the end of the pier where I just had to soar Juliett over this beautiful water. The lampposts on the pier don't work and I'm unsure why there is such a large pier in such a small place. Juliett soared and Juliett impressed...

I'll never be able to get a photo with Juliett in every country but she's flown with me in at least 15 countries on five continents. Technically she's been with me to all seven continents (I couldn't fly her in Antarctica and I couldn't bring her into Egypt, so far my only trip to Africa with her). Tired from the heat, I had a midday rest after an ice cold Bintang. At the guesthouse they serve up typical Timorese fare of rice, noodles, fish, and stir-fried veggies. The owner asked me if I could write in her guestbook, and I wrote about how it's so peaceful and lovely out here. Except for the odd barking dog or crowing rooster, you don't hear much except for the laughing waves lapping lave...and Com is the perfect place to (at least try to) break away from the .com era.

 

About kiwiaoraki


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Timor-Leste

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.