Existing Member?

Many Adventures of a Nomadic Poet A young poet with Asperger's makes travel his passion, and away he goes...

Lady of the Lake

NEW ZEALAND | Monday, 26 September 2022 | Views [146]

The Lady of the Lake? You may wonder who she is. Is she a gorgeous lady who hangs out at the lake? Is she a mythical creature akin to Loch Ness or some sort of mysterious legend? Those would all be great guesses, but the TSS Earnslaw is known has the "Lady of the Lake." Looking something like a miniature Titanic, she has been plying the waters of Lake Wakatipu for more than a century. Built in 1912, the same year as the Titanic's ill-fated maiden voyage, the TSS Earnslaw is the only remaining operating coal-powered steamship in the southern hemisphere. During the many years I've spent in Queenstown I've done most of the tourist attractions but I hadn't been on the Earnslaw until today.

Lunch at Colonel's Homestead at Walter Peak was waiting as we steamed across the lake. Piles of coal lay on the ground as I could see the turbine engines operating: a reminder of how the ship is powered. I even had an opportunity to go to the bridge and put my hands on the ship's wheel.

My friend Craig, the "Wonky Donkey man," and I planned on doing the trip last week but the weather was really foul. Today it was much nicer. 45 minutes later, and after a scenic ride across the lake, we were at Walter Peak where our lunch buffet would await.

Glasses of wine would be on order as we said "cheers" to the fact that I've done 38 trips around the Sun. Whilst I've also been around the world a few times, my ultimate ambition is to go around the world in 90 minutes! It shall happen, but for now it was time to feast. We decided to dine al fresco and we felt like millionaires as we enjoyed the view. Kings and queens, princes, actors, musicians, politicians, executives, and many other famous people have dined here at Colonel's Homestead. Reminding me somewhat of being on the MV Sea Spirit on the way to Antarctica, chefs were on hand carving lamb, pork, beef, and the like, but the salads and appetizers were just as spectacular. Normally, I'll try to eat as much as I can at a buffet but I felt full after only a plate of meat and a plate of salad. I was told the buffet at Walter Peak is brilliant, but to especially leave room for the spectacular dessert. Spectacular it was with the likes of tiramisu, sticky date pudding, chocolate cupcakes, and vanilla ice cream. Who am I to complain? What I appreciate most today is a friend joining me on this journey. 99.9% of my journeys I've undertaken alone, and whilst I wouldn't want to do everything with friends or other people, it would be nice to have the option of doing things with other people more often. It would be really special to experience a place like the Taj Mahal, Angkor Wat, or seeing a polar bear with a friend or family member. Craig is one of my best mates, and he's now the executive producer for Fearless Journey. Full after dessert, I collected a couple of geocaches and then watched a demonstration on how working dogs round up sheep. 

For some reason I was expecting a few thousand sheep to be running down the hill. I had time for a short walk to see the lake from a different vantage point.

At 4 PM it was time to ride the "Lady of the Lake" one more time and take in the views on the way. She always loops around as she comes back into port. What a special journey. Craig, cheers mate for the birthday gift and for joining me and being a part of it! 

About kiwiaoraki


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.