Existing Member?

Many Adventures of a Nomadic Poet A young poet with Asperger's makes travel his passion, and away he goes...

Winifred Beach

CHRISTMAS ISLAND | Thursday, 2 December 2021 | Views [317]

When I'm in small places like Christmas Island, I aim to do as many walks as possible. On both Pitcairn and Norfolk Island, I've walked practically every major trail. I won't have time to do 'em all here but I've done my best. The hike to Winifred Beach is one of the more challenging walks, although not as difficult as West White Beach. Ideally I wanted to reach Egeria Point so I could sign the final geocache on the island. The geocaching scene here on Christmas Island is pretty drab: missing caches, broken containers, and many places where there could be a cache but there isn't. With many roads still closed due to the red crab migration, there is only one way at the moment to the western end of the island. Getting lifts out there was no drama but a park ranger on a quad bike led us through as he swept the crabs off the road.

If it were up to me I'd shut the road full stop and only allow essential vehicles (e.g. fire trucks, ambulances) on the road. Dropped off near the detention centre, I was asked if I had a locator beacon and water with me, of which I had both. Many people have noted that I'm a very fast walker, but I've participated, thanks to Mr. Hanley, in racewalking competitions in the past. At the start of the trail I walked fervently, with red crabs scattering as I passed. The walk down wasn't as steep as to the Blowholes or the Dales but it was most certainly longer. The walk was all dirt and it took nearly two hours, and there is no defined trail to Egeria Point. I wasn't prepared to get lost so I put that part into the too-hard basket and made my way to Winifred Beach. The final descent is down a steep ladder to a (yet another) fabulous view. 

I'm scheduled to fly back to Perth tomorrow, but with three flights having been cancelled since I arrived I wouldn't be surprised if I'm here longer. Due to massive swells, they are unable to offload the jet fuel from the supply ship. There doesn't seem to be in actual beach at Winifred Beach but the view more than makes up for that. After 15 minutes, it was a long walk back toward the detention centre. I ran out of water halfway back. Walking and getting lifts back was little drama, and then I met with Jock the "firie" for a drink at Tracks and then at the Christmas Island Golf Club. 

Golf has never been my game but golf courses are often a nice place for a drink. As it's my final night on Christmas Island I wanted to splash out on a nice dinner. I invited Regine for a drink but she wanted to work on her writing, so I walked toward the Golden Bosun Tavern and was prepared to fork out the money for a nice dinner. Due to the ship being unable to land, they were out of nearly everything so I settled for fish bites and chips with a glass of wine. I will say overall, despite some of the hardships, this has been another fabulous journey. Another dream fulfilled in seeing the red crab migration. Travel has been extremely challenging during the pandemic but in the face of it I've managed quite a few extraordinary journeys and, in fact, I probably wouldn't have yet made it here if it weren't for COVID-19. Millions of red crabs will be in my memories forever. 

A great day and a great walk it was today. Let's see if I have a great flight tomorrow. 

About kiwiaoraki


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Christmas Island

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.