Existing Member?

Many Adventures of a Nomadic Poet A young poet with Asperger's makes travel his passion, and away he goes...

The Dales

CHRISTMAS ISLAND | Tuesday, 30 November 2021 | Views [256]

Sky of blue above Anderson's Dale

Sky of blue above Anderson's Dale

The red crab migration has largely passed, although there are still a few stragglers making their way back toward their burrows inland. For much of my first few days here, I was focused on the crabs but now I'm focused on seeing some stuff further afield. The other day I made my way out to the Blowholes but today I wanted to go to the Dales, which are a series of streams, waterfalls, and gorges along the west coast of the island. Christmas Island is in the shape of a dog. Nearly all of the island's residents live in the "nose" which is Flying Fish Cove, or the Settlement. Last night I made it down to the "front leg" at South Point, which was the place of one of the earliest settlements on Christmas Island. The Dales could be regarded as being in the "backside" of the dog. After getting a lift to the turnoff to South Point, I was picked up by a man named Rob who was walking down to West White Beach, a place I hadn't heard of before he picked me up. Since I had someone else with me I figured I'd do the walk down to the beach. It was a very tough walk with plenty of red, blue, and robber crabs. My thongs were slippery so I did most of the walk down barefoot. West White Beach is located near the top of the "tail" of the dog. The walk down to the beach is mostly through damp dirt, sharp rocks, and vegetation. 

Interesting is this rock where a shell once was. 

The final descent was down a long rope. Reaching the beach was very rewarding as you can see Flying Fish Cove far off in the distance. It truly makes me feel how remote I am. 

After shooting some photos, checking out more crabs, and getting our feet wet, it was time to begin the ascent back. We took our time climbing the rope and we went one at a time. This time I wasn't going barefoot. Back at his ute, Rob and I parted ways as I headed toward the Dales. I was right near the detention centre, which is heavily fortified. I wouldn't want to fly Juliett anywhere near the facility. There are a few different dales, and Anderson's Dale is the furthest one away as well as the most spectacular. The walk is easy most of the way, but requires some wading toward the end. The reward for getting wet was spectacular. 

This place is hauntingly beautiful! Swimming is definitely not recommended, and there are signs stating not to turn your back to the sea. A blue crab and a red crab in the same photo. 

The Christmas Island blue crab is far less numerous due to its need to live near freshwater streams. There's a noticeable lack of both blue foods and blue creatures in the world. With me wet but my camera and phone dry, Hugh's Dale Waterfall was next up. 

This place is so exquisite that even the red crabs come here to cool off. 

Refreshing and beautiful. A journey to the Dales is essential if you come to Christmas Island. I wasn't done yet; with another American traveller, we had to take in another great view at Martin Point. 

Travis came to Australia a few months ago to work in the mines in north Western Australia. During his 14-day quarantine he read an article about the red crab migration, and was inspired to come here. Much like returning from the Blowholes the other day, it was a long, steep walk back up to the main road. Mike and Paul, who gave me a lift from the airport last week, would pick me up right outside the detention centre and we'd go for an obligatory post-walk drink at Tracks Tavern. Another fulfilling day it has been. Don't worry, be happy. 

Regine made this out of coral and little shells. Even with sore feet after today, I just had to go out. When it's a warm evening I can't resist. It's only fitting that they decorate for the arrival of Kris Kringle. 

Christmas Island, however, still has nothing on Norway. The Norwegians are the world's best Christmas decorators. Only three more days I have left on Santa's Isle, and only 25 more days until Santa's arrival. The Dales, red crabs, chatting with good people, and a few drinks all make for great early Christmas gifts. 

About kiwiaoraki


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Christmas Island

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.