Existing Member?

Many Adventures of a Nomadic Poet A young poet with Asperger's makes travel his passion, and away he goes...

Broome Broome Rocks!

AUSTRALIA | Tuesday, 2 November 2021 | Views [241]

From the Queensland coast I've now hitchhiked more than 3,500 kilometres. Yesterday I had to say goodbye to Annie, my new Danish friend. She dropped me in Broome whilst she decided to continue her journey west. I thought about camping again but I booked a bed at Cable Beach Backpackers so I could have a shower, rest up, and charge my batteries...as if I ever truly rest. Everything is far away in Broome, and when I walked to Chinatown to get some Chinese food there was hardly a soul around, and no Chinese restaurants. "Ghosttown" would be a more fitting name. I said last night that Broome is in the same league as Las Vegas, as in it's not worth any time. I told myself I was going to pack up early and continue my journey as early as possible. This morning I thought I'd give Broome another chance and explore the magic of what's around. Despite it being very warm today I went for a long walk. The manager was concerned about me going for such a long walk but I used to participate in racewalking competitions, so I'm very used to using my two feet. Hippocrates once said "meet my two doctors: my right leg and my left leg" and that "walking is man's best medicine." With a big bottle of water and globs of sunscreen slathered all over my body, I got out there. The first place I had on my radar was Ganthaume Point, which is where dinosaur footprints can be seen. In the searing heat, it took nearly an hour to walk there. 

It was before I even reached Ganthaume Point that my view of Broome changed entirely. The town itself is uninspiring but the geologic features that surround it are impressive!

The colour you see around the Kimberley is very apparent here. 

The dinosaur footprints are regarded as being difficult to spot, and I couldn't see them but the view was superb. Red rocks and blue sky sure go together well. 

After more than an hour at Ganthaume Point (and nearly running out of water) I made my way toward the port, during which I hitchhiked part way there. I stopped at the local Australian Border Force (ABF) office and asked the officer if he could fill my water bottle and he said "let me get you some cold water." During the pandemic, numerous scams have floated about. One of them is an automated phone call claiming to be the ABF and that they intercepted a parcel with my name on it. When I spoke to the officer about that, he said he's received a similar phone call, and that to just hang up if I receive one. 

A spectacular arch would steal the show near the port. Amazing! 

After today I'm really happy I gave Broome a second chance. Some impressive rocks I saw today. From the port I got a lift back to town and then I had to walk the lengthy walk back to the hostel. When I arrived back, the manager seemed relieved but I knew I'd be alright, and at least they knew where I was going. 

Some places jump at you straight away, whilst others take a bit of time before discovering their wonders. Broome is just such a place. 

About kiwiaoraki


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.