Existing Member?

Many Adventures of a Nomadic Poet A young poet with Asperger's makes travel his passion, and away he goes...

Kimberley With Annie

AUSTRALIA | Monday, 1 November 2021 | Views [208]

In the searing heat I stood just out of Kununurra, just after entering Western Australia (WA), wondering when my next lift was going to be. I've hitchhiked more than 3,000 kilometres already. A gorgeous lady named Annie pulled up in her maroon vehicle. She's from Denmark and is a rock enthusiast, so I knew from the get-go this journey with her was going to be fabulous. As grey skies started to surround us, we drove directly into the storm.

Huge bolts of lightning surrounded us as we drove fervently through the Kimberley. Despite the fact there are so many people who don't realize how huge Australia is, it doesn't deter many Europeans from driving around. Annie said the longest drive in Denmark is three hours and flat as a board. We did a stop at a place called the Grotto, where we went for a walk. The setting is like an amphitheatre.

We had to find a spot to camp but didn't want to get rained on. We set up our tents quickly and watched lightning in the distance and the storms move right around us. I'll admit the sound of rain hitting a tent is very soothing. 

Due to being so close to the border and with WA being an hour and a half behind the Northern Territory, I was prepared for the sun to rise early. It was just after 6 AM and the sun was already a fair way above the horizon. I said to Annie "the adventure continues" as we packed up our camping gear and hit the Outback road again. Nearly an hour into our drive, we reached the turnoff to the Purnalulu National Park, better known as the Bungle Bungles. We tried to drive the 50 km or so to the main entrance but due to the dodgy state of Annie's vehicle, she decided to turn around only a few kilometres up the unsealed road. I knew the Bungle Bungles were going to be tough, so it didn't bother me that we couldn't make it. Shell Coles Express servos are a blessing in these parts. $1 coffees and $3 pies are a lifesaver since nearly everything else is so expensive in the Kimberley. 

Alaskans and Texans like to argue over which state is bigger but WA is nearly double the size of Alaska and about five times the size of Texas! The Kimberley alone is about the size of Texas. The other day I found out about the Grotto, and yesterday I found out about the China Wall at Halls Creek. There wasn't a clear sign leading to it and we ended up taking a wrong turn but still ended up discovering some cool rocks and termite mounds.

The "wall" looks man-made but it's a natural feature that was created by softer rocks around it having eroded over time. If you look closely, it looks like the Great Wall meandering through the hills. 

Annie and I would set up camp at perhaps my favourite place in WA by far: the Quarry. It looks directly out of a painting. 

At first, the idea of camping at a quarry didn't sound interesting. Ahhh, the places you discover as a result of the people you meet. Before meeting Annie, the Bungle Bungles were the only place in the Kimberley that I truly had on my radar. 

As I arose this morning, I had to get Juliett into the air before the flies started to swarm me. The Quarry is another place I'd happily stay for another night but there are no facilities, however. We stopped at several other places this morning so we could soak up the view and snap photos. A rock arch would leave both of us in awe. 

From there we were on our way again. Today, Annie decided she wanted to be on her own again, and offered to drop me in Broome. We hit the road again and were travelling the vast expanse of the Kimberley. We did a brief stop at a giant boab tree, but couldn't get any good photos because everyone has to carve their name into the tree. Late this afternoon, it was time for us to part ways. Annie would drop me at Cable Beach Backpackers in Broome, and then she'd be on her way. For two nights and more than 1,000 kilometres, Annie was my travelling companion. 

Annie, it was fantastic travelling with you. What a magical journey through the Kimberley it was. Until we meet again...

About kiwiaoraki


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.