Existing Member?

Many Adventures of a Nomadic Poet A young poet with Asperger's makes travel his passion, and away he goes...

Bounty Day II

NORFOLK ISLAND | Tuesday, 8 June 2021 | Views [349]

Liam, Charles, Kim, and Nate

Liam, Charles, Kim, and Nate

Happy Bounty Day!! Today is the 165th anniversary of the Pitcairn Islanders landing on Norfolk Island. On 8 June, 1856, 193 settlers arrived on the Morayshire and landed on an island where two convict settlements were once formed. The islanders landed in heavy rain, and were met on the pier by the commissariat storekeeper, Mr. Stewart and his wife, and Captain Denham, whose ship, the HMS Herald, was anchored off the island. As an American whaling ship, Thanksgiving continues to be observed to this day on Norfolk Island as a result. 

This is my second Bounty Day on Norfolk Island. Since I've already received two invites to the customary feast, I made sure to bake some zucchini bread and bring a bottle of wine. I felt terrible five years ago when I was invited to the feast and I had nothing to bring. Out the door I was early on this windy, blustery day. I decided to leave the pushbike at home and use my thumb to get down to Kingston. Along the way someone pulled up whom I didn't want to see. Years ago I stayed with this person, and she completely turned against me when she heard a rumour about me. She pulled up yelling "why are you back here? Go home! Leave our ladies alone and behave yourself!" before driving off. She's an extremely toxic person, and I wish to have nothing to do with her. I'm a nice person who made a small mistake, and I've learned from it. For crying out loud, I stayed with her more than six years ago. Doesn't she realize I've been many places since, have learned a lot since, and matured since? We all make mistakes. Nobody is perfect. If there is one thing this pandemic has taught me, it's that the best thing to do is smile and be nice as much as possible. Obviously, she's never learned, and seems like the kind of person who would think COVID-19 is all a sham. 

However, I didn't let that incident ruin my morning. I was at Kingston pier early and stood amongst a group of tourists. Many of them were wearing gloves, beanies, and heavy coats yet I was wearing a Hawaiian shirt, shorts, and no shoes. We all eagerly awaited the arrival of the Bounty descendants in traditional garb, and they started showing up slowly. With sunglasses and smartphones, it's not exactly 1856 but close enough. Troy and Shari were the first descendants whose photo I snapped.

Much like when I was here five years ago, the winds were heavy and the seas were choppy. One of those in the boat even lost his straw hat but he was able to retrieve it.

As everyone started walking toward the cenotaph, I positioned myself on top of the old hospital and got some great photos from above.

My plan was to fly Juliett (my drone) but I've been having problems with her and it's too windy. If it's windy enough, I won't fly Juliett but if there are people around, especially large crowds, I'm doubly cautious. Although the old hospital is my favourite spot to sit atop and admire the view, I was told off today for climbing on top of it. After laying of wreaths at the cenotaph, we all made our way toward the cemetery. In the Sweet Bye & Bye and the Prayer of John Adams were both sung. Norfolk Island's cemetery is the world's most beautiful resting place. My final wish is for my ashes to be scattered on Norfolk Island. It only took eight trips, but I got to visit the Governor's Lodge for the first time for tea and biscuits. 

Many fantastic photos I snapped this morning...

...and I was invited to a Bounty Day feast by two different locals. Since Charles and Kim invited me first, I decided to join them. First I wanted to go home, drop off some unnecessary gear and then ride the pushbike to the airport to greet one of my favourite locals to "dar baas side," and that's Doosy. She arrived home with a new baby in tow. Due to the pandemic I've been asking people "do you prefer a virtual hug or a real hug?" and Doosy preferred my virtual hug. Someday, when COVID-19 is no longer a worry, things will go back to normal. From there I made a B-line back to Kingston where it was time to feast. With the likes of fresh-roasted pork, rice, lamb curry, and scalloped potatoes, there was absolutely no shortage of food and laughter.

Charles, Kim, myself, and several others would chat about all sorts of things old and new. When I tell people Norfolk Island is my favourite place in the world, some people have said "I bet you say that about every place you visit." There are many places where I would be content going to only once. I can't imagine myself ever returning to North Korea, Tokelau, Wallis and Futuna, or even Pitcairn Island. None of them are bad places, but for some places once is enough (e.g. North Korea) and others it's the financial or logistical rigmarole of getting there (e.g. Tokelau, Pitcairn Island). Eight times I've been to the Rock and I fall in love with this beautiful island more and more and more every time I visit. The Bounteous Isle will forever remain very dear to my heart. Dessert was divine, and my zucchini bread was a smash hit among Charles' sons, Liam and Nate. By about 4:30 it was windy and chilly so I helped Charles take down the gazebo and put away some dishes and chairs. He decided to leave some gear inside the new gaol and return to collect it tomorrow. I was advised to store the pushbike in Kingston and catch a lift home with Charles and Kim. Whilst I expected nothing to be open this evening I was surprised that both the Leagues Club and P&R Groceries were open. Another bounteous Bounty Day it was with bounteous photos, bounteous stories, bounteous food, and bounteous drinks. At home I'd have a bounteous smile and then a bounteous sleep. I love you, Norfolk Island. 

As a footnote during my last visit I wrote the Norfolk Ode but this time I shall write the Pitcairn Anthem by Rev. G.H. Nobbs & Driver Christian: 

Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand: 

Come ye blessed of my Father
Inherit the Kingdom prepared for you
From the foundation of the world.

I was hungered and ye gave me meat
I was thirsty and ye gave me drink
I was a stranger and ye took me in
Naked and ye clothed me
I was sick and ye visited me
I was in prison and ye came unto me
In as much as ye have done it unto one
Of the least of these my brethren
Ye have done it unto me
Ye have done it unto me.  

About kiwiaoraki


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Norfolk Island

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.