Existing Member?

Many Adventures of a Nomadic Poet A young poet with Asperger's makes travel his passion, and away he goes...

Over Crystal Pools

NORFOLK ISLAND | Sunday, 2 June 2019 | Views [651]

Norfolk Island has a million beautiful spots, but Crystal Pools is one of my absolute favourites. With Juliett I'd make it out that way today but first it was market today. After a coffee I hitched into town with a girl who recently moved here from King Island: another remote place I've always dreamed of reaching. Trent Christian performs at the Sunday market, and I wanted to have a chat to him since I'm going to Pitcairn Island in October. His parents live there and he's been there a few times. 

There is only one geocache left on Norfolk for me to find so I started making my way toward the listed coordinates to gather clues. Along the way I spotted Mary Christian-Bailey and her husband, Bernie. He recently celebrated his 90th birthday. Toward the geocache I'd get no further as Mary offered me a lift home and I made some lamb curry for lunch. Crystal Pools I was bound for afterward to soar Juliett. It's been very windy these past couple of days and I nearly had a crash yesterday as she was carried onto the golf course. Fortunately the wind today blew toward the coast rather than away. When flying a drone it's best to fly against the wind away from you and with it coming back to you in case you have trouble returning to home. I can fly her a fair way offshore: 

The waters are extremely choppy today. Content I am flying her over my favourite place in the world...

I mustn't forget that long before I had a drone, I had a camera. Therefore I've been snapping loads of photos the traditional way. 

As I walked home, I heard a familiar voice coming from a tennis court. Dave and his mates were playing tennis at Foot Nort: (former) home of the most insane parties on either side of the Tasman. During my first journey to Norfolk I attended one of their legendary parties. In a coincidence, Dave and I drove there together that night. From what I hear the largest home on Norfolk is only a shade of its former glory days. The old Foot Nort sign is now missing and their Queenstown-esque parties are no longer. 

This evening I met up with Charles and his wife, Kim for dinner. Since they're leaving for Thailand tomorrow they made a simple fare to go with some red wine. Kim felt bad that she was making what she made but I jokingly said "Kim, you invited me over for tea but I'm gonna complain." She said next time she'll make a roast dinner. Now that's one of my favourites! I feel over the course of several visits I've earned a lot of respect because I visit often and how I have so much love and respect for the people of Norfolk. A magnificent place with some wonderful, resilient people. A wonderful feeling came over me again this evening. I've been to and seen many places and spectacular sights: penguins waddling in Antarctica, sunrise over Machu Picchu, hearing Big Ben ring in London, seeing rock-hewn churches in Ethiopia, and sipping French wine with locals in Saint-Pierre, just to name of a few. Out of all the places I've visited, Norfolk Island remains the duchess of my travels. My favourite place in the world. It seems destined remain that way forever and ever. Norfolk Island, I love you. 

About kiwiaoraki


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Norfolk Island

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.