Existing Member?

Many Adventures of a Nomadic Poet A young poet with Asperger's makes travel his passion, and away he goes...

Above the Bounteous Isle, Juliett Soars...

NORFOLK ISLAND | Thursday, 30 May 2019 | Views [343]

On Norfolk Island, I'm always awake early. The pure air, plentiful sunshine, and wind rustling through the Norfolk pines make it too alluring to sleep in until 11 AM. As I smeared some local avocado onto my toast and sipped my coffee, I kept hoping, hoping, hoping I could figure out this rigmarole with unlocking a "blue" restricted area. I can go online and do it but I need a verified DJI account but I can only use a mobile phone number to verify it, and even then it won't recognize a Norfolk number. Even more frustrating is that I can't unlock an area on a mobile device; it has to be on a PC. Last night, Charles said I could call in and use the computer at his work. He suggested using his account but was concerned about the off chance of getting in trouble with my drone, but I really want to verify my account in case I run into this problem elsewhere. On Norfolk I always have a busy schedule, and my first port of call today was to sign off on a geocache with a 2G theme. The final was, rather fittingly, an old Nokia mobile phone. Even with Australia coming in, there is no mobile data and only a 2G network (a 4G network is being discussed). Dave and I agreed to meet for pizza tonight but there were no pizza bases! I should know better to make sure I get stuff early. As always on Norfolk, I had to pull some strings. I went to a bakery down the road and they agreed to make me a pizza base. Charles would pick me up and after doing a job with his Phantom drone at Cascade, I introduced him to geocaching. We searched beneath a bridge for a cache and he found it before I did! 

The only areas you can fly drones with no restrictions are the area around Steele's Point in the northeast and a small area of Anson Point in the northwest. Since I couldn't call into Charles' work until later I made my way to Anson Point where a local named Ivonne (Vonnie) would drop me north of Anson Bay since I flew at Steele's Point yesterday. Anson Point is on a rather high point so I could soar Juliett much higher than the sea for some amazing photos. I can also reach areas that I can't reach personally. The end result was some photographic masterpieces. 

My next stop was Christian-Bailey Agencies. In a stroke of good luck, I was picked up by a guy working there; otherwise I'd spend half the morning catching up with locals. I tried until late last night trying to figure this out but I had to pull some more strings: I couldn't use a Norfolk number but I could use an Australian number so I had the verification code, which is only valid for five minutes, sent to Jo and then I gave her a call to get the code. From there I still was having problems. I finally got permission to unlock the "blue" zone but I needed an internet connection for it to kick in. The Norfolk Telecom hotspot doesn't reach the shop and it's been so long since they set up their wifi that they don't remember the password. As I left my batteries to charge, it worked! At long last, I could finally fly Juliett over much of Norfolk Island. From there I made a B-line for Kingston. My top priority is Mt. Pitt but I'll go there tomorrow. Unfortunately, much of Kingston falls within the "red" zone, meaning I can't fly at all but I managed some great shots, first from Kingston Pier and then from Lone Pine.

From high above, Emily Bay looks like it could be a Portuguese man o'war. 

David Bigg spotted me and immediately remembered me. As far as the locals, this has been a lovely trip so far. They're remembering me now from all the positive things I've written about Norfolk and how I speak so highly of everyone, rather than drunken antics at wild parties. 

Tinned tomatoes are rare as hen's teeth of late but I found some pizza sauce at P&R Groceries. There is no mozzarella cheese at Foodlands so I was lucky I brought some with me from the mainland. After going home to gather all of that and put Juliett away, I was finally at Dave's. He and I chatted a lot whilst his little boy, Mitch, is now 3 1/2. Dave and his wife have split since my last visit, but Heide was pregnant with Mitch during my third visit. On a previous visit I suggested to Dave that if he modified his garage and added a kitchen and a bathroom, he could either rent it out or host people via AirBnB. Sure enough, he's put a lot of work into it. 

Usually it's people I bump into in Queenstown who remember me from Norfolk, but tonight I'd meet a lady who remembers me from Queenstown. As I walked into the Leagues Club where the fire was roaring, I heard a girl say as soon as I walked in "I remember him from Queenstown" and then we had some great times and a pickup hug. Her name is Hannah, and she took a photo of us to send to her friends in Queenstown. Haven't I said before that everyone seems to remember me from either Queenstown or Norfolk Island? A nice evening it was this evening with a couple glasses of wine, a shot of Sambuca, and a round of pool. A perfect way to to cap off a day where I got my trusty drone in the air. 

After some amazing shots today I would walk by the light of the stars back to Katherine's home. With nearly no Moon the Southern Cross stood out wondrously. Juliett, you held up well today. Norfolk Island, I swear to God I love you more and more each day! A certain local used to call me a "wandering albatros" but today, Juliett was my albatros and Norfolk is my greatest love. 

About kiwiaoraki


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Norfolk Island

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.