Existing Member?

Many Adventures of a Nomadic Poet A young poet with Asperger's makes travel his passion, and away he goes...

Snorkelling with Turtles

MALDIVES | Saturday, 3 March 2018 | Views [614]

These past few days have been something like this: relax, go for a stroll, eat, go for a swim, relax some more, and go for another stroll. After all that, have dinner outdoors alongside a cold non-alcoholic Holsten on a balmy evening whilst listening to the call to prayer. Today I'd be up for some action: I'd go snorkelling and swimming with turtles for the first time. Snorkelling including lunch, equipment, and using a GoPro cost only $25.

Despite being such a lovely day yesterday, the weather completely turned to shit today. For a few seconds I was actually shivering in the Maldives. Due to the warmth of the water, there are no wetsuits for hire; I prefer to use one to protect against sun, coral, and jellyfish. These islands are home to stonefish, the world's most poisonous fish. It can kill within hours if you come into contact with it, and it blends in well with coral.

Shortly into our excursion, we spotted our first turtle. The guides seem to know the perfect way to get a turtle to come to the surface. I've swum with dolphins in the past but this is my first time with a turtle.

It's fitting that the turtle is centre stage. When checking off travel milestones, I should add the Maldives are my first time swimming in the Indian Ocean.

We stopped at a sandbank for lunch, which was a simple feed of chicken sandwiches and mango juice kept in an esky. The sky was so dark today that it made the sand seem so much brighter, and with the rain I was concerned about my camera getting wet.

As with Panama and Lord Howe Island, I've had some unfortunate bad luck with weather whilst on snorkelling trips.

After lunch it was time for a swim with the dolphins. As we donned our masks, snorkels, and flippers, we all followed the dolphins. Whilst I didn't have a chance to get up close and personal, it was another lovely snorkelling excursion. Being in salt water really dehydrates you and makes you go to the bathroom, and I have a difficult time going with others around even if they can't see me. It's a psychological thing. It would be the most painful ride back to Maafushi but I'd vanquish that with positive thoughts after swimming with turtles. Upon return I was wandering through puddles a half a metre deep.

This afternoon I'd be out from beneath the surface and would take Juliett to the skies again. It's not (yet) possible to get married in the Maldives but many couples host their wedding ceremony in these magical islands. A couple asked if I'd like to do some footage of their wedding with Juliett but I don't feel I'm that good to do something that meaningful. I told them to contact me and I would have a go.

My list of travel experiences has only gotten more extensive today. Another destination I didn't think of until recently has enamoured me...

About kiwiaoraki


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Maldives

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.