Existing Member?

Many Adventures of a Nomadic Poet A young poet with Asperger's makes travel his passion, and away he goes...

Penguins & a Falkland Feast

FALKLAND ISLANDS | Tuesday, 7 November 2017 | Views [660]

As my first time staying in the home of a Falkland Islander, I'd learn a bit today about how things operate in camp. A doctor makes a run in a plane every six weeks to camp settlements, and residents convene at a designated home. Those living in Fox Bay and Fox Bay West meet here at Andy & Shiralee's home. Whilst they were busy I ventured off in search of a few geocaches. It appeared it'd be another gorgeous day but it was very windy. The weather would turn rather foul and I'd find only two out of four geocaches I searched for. In Fox Bay West, the water is gorgeous and blue, as if it's in a tropical country.

When I returned home, Shiralee put the mutton roast in the oven; it'll be my first time trying Falkland mutton. As I had a glance through a local cookbook, I noticed a recipe that caught my eye: chocolate fudge pudding. It's rare that I make special requests when I'm being hosted, but I was up for something chocolatey tonight. Falkland cuisine is based around meat as there are practically no fruits or vegetables. In addition to chicken eggs, locals eat goose and penguin eggs as well. Shiralee said to Andy "if you take Chris to see the penguins, I'll make the chocolate fudge pudding." After I helped Shiralee start the pudding, Andy took me to a colony of nearly 100 gentoo penguins. I've never been so close to so many penguins!

Finally I've shot a good photo with me in it.

My friend Miki, a lovely Japanese lady I met in Bali, noted how I look like a big brother to all these penguins. This is one of those penguin colonies that chances are only a local will know about. Windscreen chips are a fact of life in camp, as Andy's windscreen is filled with them and it's pointless to get a new windscreen when it's inevitable that it'll happen again. Vehicles in the Falklands tend to be large and robust; this isn't a place you'd want to drive a shiny new Lexus or Mercedes.

There's nothing like the feeling of a Falkland home; you go from being cold and wet to indoors with some wonderful people and plenty of warmth. When we returned home, the roast mutton, with potatoes, carrots, green beans, gravy, and mint sauce, was ready.

It was every bit of divine as I expected. When I tasted Shiralee's toffee apples last night, I knew she loved to cook and that we'd get along well. Chocolate fudge pudding for dessert was just as divine.

Tonight was fantastic, as has all of my time here in the Falklands. Despite feeling a bit lonely at times, it's been a wonderful time here in camp. What I planned on being just a few days turned into 10. I came to camp not knowing what to expect: I wasn't sure if I was gonna be sleeping out in the cold or if I was gonna have the first day in my life ever of not seeing another soul. In fact, it's been anything but; hospitality has been second to none and what few people I've seen and met in camp have been incredibly warm and welcoming. My adventures in the Falkland Islands continue tomorrow as I'll be flying on a small plane back to Stanley.

About kiwiaoraki


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Falkland Islands

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.