Existing Member?

Many Adventures of a Nomadic Poet A young poet with Asperger's makes travel his passion, and away he goes...

Dynamo Hut

NEW ZEALAND | Monday, 9 October 2017 | Views [882]

In just a few days I'm leaving for LA and in less than two weeks I'll be in Chile! My annual winter Queenstown sojourn is winding down, and I wanted to do one more spectacular thing before leaving for my next big adventure. Earlier in the season I was planning the Routeburn Track for around this time but part of the track is closed due to avalanche risks, so an alternate option was the Greenstone-Caples Track but the weather was iffy last week and it's a 4-day/3-night walk. A geocache would inspire me to walk to Dynamo Hut, deep in the wilderness of Skippers Canyon. For the past several months I've been working on a series of "unloved" caches and I noticed the cache at Dynamo Hut hadn't been found in more than 2 years. I packed my sleeping bag, pillow, tea, billy, gas cannister, and a camping meal of freeze-dried roast lamb with vegetables, all the night before. Only then did I discover that cache was found only the night before! How heartbreaking. I can't complete my challenge now...

It didn't matter, I laced up my tramping boots, and set out with my thumb out toward Skippers Canyon. Tyler and I flew our drones out here yesterday and suggested he could have dropped me at Skippers Cemetery (the starting point of the track to Dynamo Hut) but I had stuff to do and figured I'd do this today. It was a little tricky getting a lift but a young couple from Perth and Gore picked me up and they opted to drive out to the cemetery.

From there it was a walk into the unknown as I've done many fantastic walks in NZ. 20 minutes into my walk I encountered a stream I had to cross, so I took my boots and socks off as I walked in. The water is punishingly cold...cold enough to where your feet will hurt. Upon my fourth stream crossing I was talking to myself: "Chris Farrell, you can do this! You're powerful enough to overcome. Analyze and determine the best crossing." There was no keeping my boots dry, as I needed both hands free. Furthermore, I didn't want my camera around my neck with these stream crossings. Sandflies swarmed me as I put my socks and boots back on. These nasty buggers wanted fresh blood and I must have swatted dozens of them off me today. In I went, boots inundated.

That was after only four crossings, and I had dozens more to go. With my camera in my backpack, I used my phone for the occasional photo. For more than two hours I followed a track. Two streams I crossed, and I kept count, a total of 71 times. Up a hill I spotted Dynamo Hut, and it appears to have been around for more than a century. At the hut already were a couple, their two teenaged boys, and their dog. Good, because that meant the fire was already lit.

Immediately I put some water on my camping stove for a cup of tea, and then I flew my trusty drone, Juliett. With a photo of Dynamo Hut from 330 metres above, I'm in awe!

 

For the first time I've had all three of my photographic media handy (camera, drone, phone) for a diverse range of photos. Here are examples from each medium, respectively:

Food always tastes better after hard work, and although a far cry from Aunt Jo's roast lamb, the freeze-dried version along with a cuppa did the job tonight. A previous trekker was nice enough to leave some salt & pepper behind. One rule of thumb I have is that I always leave a box of matches behind in case someone arrives and they forgot their matches (or they got wet).  As I was really tired yesterday, I fell asleep early and slept in late. I'd take Juliett for one final flight before I trudged through 71 crossings in reverse. I snapped a photo of a waterfall that I could only get with Juliett.

After another long NZ winter, the walk to Dynamo Hut was the perfect end to the season.

About kiwiaoraki


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.