Existing Member?

Many Adventures of a Nomadic Poet A young poet with Asperger's makes travel his passion, and away he goes...

Barossa Valley

AUSTRALIA | Sunday, 24 September 2017 | Views [1368]

The famed Barossa vineyards

The famed Barossa vineyards

World-famous for its varietals, the Barossa is a region I've always dreamed of visiting. Today we'd go for a lovely drive out that way with Anikka, Mel, Chrystal, her friend Louise, and Daisy the dog. Leaving behind the hustle and bustle of Adelaide, it was into the calm and serenity of the Barossa vineyards. New Zealand has better white wine but Australia has better red, I reckon. Cab sav (cabernet sauvignon) is my favourite red wine. The Barossa is most famous for its shiraz; in the valley some of the oldest shiraz vines are planted. Grapes have been planted in the Barossa for nearly two centuries!

There are no grapes growing at the moment but the vineyards just as picturesque. I even got out my trusty drone, Juliett and soared her into the sky.

The end result was one of my best photos ever in Australia! For lunch we stopped in Tanunda where I got chicken schnitzel and chips topped with gravy. In my frustration I snapped at Anikka and I immediately felt terrible. My heart still hurts a little but we both have an understanding as to where we both stand. A promise I have to Anikka, in writing here, is that she will always have my friendship! I will never resent her regardless of what happens.

Anikka and I would get playful amongst the vineyards

It's not our wedding day but the celebration of a great friendship. And then here are the Lagana girls.

Today would have been a nice day to stop at a few vineyards and do some wine tasting but we just went for a drive. Mel said we could come out here again on a future visit and sample the Barossa's famous varietals. It was very windy today so conditions weren't the best for flying Juliett but I still managed some spectacular photos. On the drive home we were all exhausted to the point where we all fell asleep in the back seat. Tonight's plan was for Mel to make pierogi but we instead opted for pizza for takeaway. Mel and Anikka would give me a blissful 4-hand massage.

It has been an absolutely fantastic week with Anikka, Mel, and family. For my first day or two, I was very emotional but now I feel so much better. The best part is letting it off my chest that I have feelings for Anikka, and just as awesome is the feeling of Anikka's friendship. She makes my heart feel warm. Tomorrow I'm going back to Queenstown and then in a few weeks I'm off to Chile. Mel is so close to me that I often call her "mum" as Anikka's family is like an unofficial family to me. I'm already planning my next visit to the Adelaide and the Barossa, and it was only fitting to have a glass of South Australian wine this evening.

Anikka Miss Double-K, thank you so much for your friendship and everything you've done for me. It was such a lovely week with you. I love you and I always will!

About kiwiaoraki


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.