Existing Member?

Many Adventures of a Nomadic Poet A young poet with Asperger's makes travel his passion, and away he goes...

Adelaide 3-3

AUSTRALIA | Monday, 18 September 2017 | Views [757]

Every year for my birthday I aim to be someplace special or with someone special, and this year in particular I had a very difficult time deciding where I'd like to spend my 33rd birtday. Weeks ago I narrowed my choices down to Niue or Norfolk Island. Then, after speaking with Anikka and her mum, they were like "you should come here for your birthday." I just couldn't pass up an opportunity to spend my birthday with the most spectular lady in Australia...or anywhere for that matter.

Flying into Adelaide, I had to do it my own special way. Australia specifies in your passport your entry point, and I have entry stamps in my passport for Perth, Darwin, Melbourne, Brisbane, and Sydney. Adelaide is a rather obscure entry point and the only international flights, last time I researched, are from Auckland, Bali, and (seasonally) Singapore. When I re-entered at Sydney in June I learned Australia is phasing out passport stamps, so spending a bit of extra money was a bit of a risk. On top of that, the flight schedule meant I'd have to fly from Queenstown to Auckland a day earlier, spend the night in Auckland, and then fly out this morning. It's a bit strange flying over a fair bit of Australia before landing, as I'm used to flying over thousands of kilometres of water before flying straight into the Lucky Country.

Going through immigration, I was questioned as to why I'm visiting Australia for a very short period. Last year I was questioned intensely because I've been to Australia many times, and they frightened me. This time however, I explained that I have autism and how I've always had a great love for Australia. In Year 6 (6th grade), Mr. Hanley brought in a cassette of Australian songs since he knew how much I liked Australia, and this was long before the days of Spotify and iTunes so he would have had to go through some great effort. Furthermore, I explained how I paid over $100 extra so I could fly directly into Adelaide. The immigration officers were intrigued by my story and after having a glance at my dozens of passport stamps, they understood. At first I was told they no longer had an Adelaide passport stamp and I was disappointed, but at the desk they did have one! With a beaming smile, I now have stamps from six different Australian entry points; the only ones left are Cairns and the Gold Coast. Walking in circles round the terminal, I spotted Miss Anikka Double-K, and it was a warm, hearty hug like usual. She gives the best hugs! I love Anikka with all my heart and I've never felt this way about anyone.

As I sat with Anikka tonight, she asked me what I was thinking. Gently, I told her how much I love her, and I said "the greatest birthday present would be for you to be my girlfriend; my heart is wide open for you." I've mentioned many girls over the years but I've never loved anyone the way I love Anikka. She's the only girl I've ever loved whose family also loves and endorses me. Jo has told me repeatedly that I should have done the trip with her all the way to Melbourne via Brisbane, but meeting Anikka gives me justification for having being dropped at Three Ways and spending time in Adelaide, and then ending up staying in Adelaide longer than planned, having met Anikka on my final day there.

For Anikka, my heart is as wide open for her as a book; all she has to do is reach out and grab it. In a few days I'll be 33, and I can't ask for a better birthday than having six different Australian passport stamps and having the most wonderful lady by my side. As a footnote I'll share my collection of Australian passport stamps, though some of them look better than others.

 

About kiwiaoraki


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.