Existing Member?

Many Adventures of a Nomadic Poet A young poet with Asperger's makes travel his passion, and away he goes...

Mt. Ossa

AUSTRALIA | Wednesday, 27 April 2016 | Views [654]

Speckled rocks on Mt. Ossa

Speckled rocks on Mt. Ossa

Mt. Ossa! This morning it was time to tackle the summit of Tasmania's highest peak. Preparing my morning cuppa, I was excited for the rigours ahead. Strategically I packed my bag so I could cover it with my pack liner to prevent currawongs from going into my pack. A few walkers are doing a day trip to Mt. Ossa and returning to Pelion Hut tonight. The stretch from Pelion Hut to Mt. Ossa junction took nearly two hours with a good part of it uphill.

As I secured my pack I looked up and noted Mt. Ossa looks like either a set of breasts or a set of drill bits; either tits or bits. Mt. Ossa is on the left (even though the right bit appears higher).

To be honest, I wasn't sure how fit I'd be to walk the Overland Track but I've been relentless even with a heavier-than-normal pack. One thing I can never question is my will; if I'm not strong enough, I will myself to the top. One of my boots nearly went deep enough in mud that I filled my foot; so far I've managed to keep my feet dry. For the first time I was walking without my pack, and I had my foldable water bottle attached to my belt loop. Nearly halfway into the walk it looked up and it appeared to be a very steep climb to the summit.

Whilst not terribly difficult, the route requires a lot of rock climbing but the views are spectacular! Another trekker named Pip noted that I'm a very good climber, and as she and her group were confused at the route I was asked to lead the way. Scrambling over rocks and up the peak, At 1,614 metres (5.295 feet) I'm at the summit of Tasmania!

The trip from the junction to the summit took only 1 hour, 35 minutes. A geocache exists up here too, as does mobile reception. It allowed me to check Facebook as well as if anyone on CouchSurfing replied to my requests. The view is spectacular and the rocks are colourfully speckled.

A trekker from Canberra (originally from India) is aiming to reach the highest point in every Australian state, and so far he's done Tasmania, Victoria, and New South Wales. A small lake near the summit merited a few photos and then I was on my way down. Nearly taking a bad fall, it was more difficult descending. The heardest part of the day was the walk from the junction to Kia Ora Hut because once again I had all the weight on my back. My feet were really sore and it was a continuous walk of dodging mud and tree roots. For tea I prepared some carrot, ginger, and kale soup, and Gary treated me to a hot chocolate. He's travelling with his young son, his friend Rick, and his young son. Kia Ora Hut is much smaller than Pelion Hut but many people are camping tonight. The weather has been brilliant these past few days but rain is on the forecast for at least part of tomorrow. Tasmania's unpredictable weather means trekkers can experience rain every day on the track.

This is my fourth night on the Overland Track, and it's been quite a journey! Tonight I have that euphoric feeling of having been at the summit of Tasmania and, rain or not, more adventures are in store tomorrow! 

About kiwiaoraki


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.