Existing Member?

Many Adventures of a Nomadic Poet A young poet with Asperger's makes travel his passion, and away he goes...

Sore Feet, Gorgeous Trek

AUSTRALIA | Tuesday, 26 April 2016 | Views [638]

Mt. Oakleigh

Mt. Oakleigh

Day three of the Overland Track! The weather was brilliant all day today and everyone was up early, set for the long day ahead. Definitely next time: more food, less clothing. I've only been eating one meal a day, but perhaps it's good to give my digestive system a break. I made some tea and had a couple of Anzac biscuits. At 8:44 AM I was on my way after having the same difficulty of repacking my bag. The Overland Track has many types of fungi but unless you're a mycologist, I wouldn't recommend picking and roasting any of them.

Fungi come in many different shapes and colours but I've yet to spot a blue mushroom. Years ago one of my teachers ripped up a calendar because I coloured a mushroom blue, yelling at me with "I've never seen a blue mushroom." I know they exist because my friend Craig spotted one on Stewart Island.

About an hour into my walk this morning I came upon a gorgeous lookout point. I peered into a valley with no signs of human life for hours.

Most certainly this doesn't feel like Australia. After two days on the Overland Track, I'm ready for some fish & chips but I'm very happy to be out here. My feet are a bit sore but this track is legendary. The walk today was much longer than yesterday but it wasn't as difficult as I expected. I spotted the turnoff to Old Pelion Hut and figured I'd walk there after I dropped my bag. New Pelion Hut is visible from a fair distance. A "mansion in the bush" this is. Early I secured a bunk whilst I got my stuff out to prepare some noodles and a cuppa. One thing I'm not missing is wine; I'm happy with tea but I wish I brought some coffee! Jennifer was nice enough to shout me a coffee this afternoon. Whilst I made my way toward Old Pelion Hut, I turned around since I didn't have my high-powered lens and I sensed a magical sunset. Indeed it was!

For an area this remote, New Pelion Hut is a large, stylish hut with a veranda wrapped around it and a gorgeous view!

Some walkers decided on tackling a side trip to Mt. Oakleigh this afternoon but I decided I'm going to have my energy for Mt. Ossa tomorrow. For tea I tucked into a not-half-bad packet of pumpkin soup, and afterward I did some reading and stargazing. The crisp evenings of Tasmania feel more like NZ than anywhere else. Now that I've been to every state and territory of Australia, now it's time to see some of the more obscure places. The "Trip to the Tip" and Thursday Island are on my list. Oh, and I mustn't forget Lord Howe Island. Sadly, nobody has responded as far as taking me in for a week. Lord Howe hasn't happened yet; I should get my head out of there and back onto the Overland Track...

Tomorrow is the big day. Barring any setbacks I'll be at the top of Mt. Ossa tomorrow, and I'm saying there will be so setbacks!

About kiwiaoraki


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.