Existing Member?

Many Adventures of a Nomadic Poet A young poet with Asperger's makes travel his passion, and away he goes...

Eyes on both coasts

COSTA RICA | Saturday, 10 October 2009 | Views [772]

Lunar-like summit

Lunar-like summit

Standing at the corner of Avenida 2 and Calle 3, there's a sign for the bus to Volcan Irazu. The other day I had teeth pulled out and I have a mouthful of stitches, so I was ready for an escape from San Jose for the day. Earlier I asked Jonathan if he wanted to join me in going but he had to do some work so I was on the bus, and away from the grit and grime of Costa Rica's capital and largest city. Irazu is said to be the only place in North America in which you can see both the Pacific and Atlantic Oceans from the same spot. The bus ride is through the clouds and emcompasses some breathtaking views. Only yesterday I was envisioning a demanding hike up to the summit but it turns out the bus takes you right to the summit. The entrance fee is a rather steep 5,600 colones but, speaking Spanish as best I could I told them I was a student and that I left my wallet at home so they let me in for 1,000 colones (the Tico rate). It's ridiculous that I'd have to pay like $12 just to be at the summit of a volcano. Straight to the crater I walked, and straight then I was in awe! A milky green lake fills the crater.

My my, it is beautiful! In a complete state of bliss I was; I walked a ways away from the crowds and across a lunar-like field and I just lay there with my arms stretched out, being totally silent and still without a care around me. Little kids a distance away were yelling out "he looks dead" but his father told him not to disturb me which was a good thing. In total bliss I was thinking "leave me alone" even though the children and everyone else were a fair distance away. Totally silent I was, and then a little sunburned after laying there in the corpse position for more than 20 minutes. Ahhhhh did that feel invigorating! It sure did. Relaxed, I strolled back up to the railing for some more panoramic views of the crater. It was hopeless seeing either ocean as it was too foggy and cloudy. When I was ready to leave I tried to pull off my first hitchhiking experience in the land of Pura Vida but I had no such luck. Pura Vida ought to mean "pure bliss" on this magnificent volcano!

 

About kiwiaoraki


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Costa Rica

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.