Existing Member?

Many Adventures of a Nomadic Poet A young poet with Asperger's makes travel his passion, and away he goes...

Ze Mermaid and Colour

DENMARK | Monday, 27 May 2024 | Views [32]

What do a large breed of dog and Hans Christian Andersen have in common? They’re both Great Danes. Last night I arrived in Denmark on a ferry that was basically a floating duty-free shop. Whilst in Germany I used the Deutschland Ticket, in Denmark I’m back to using my thumb. Getting from Gedser to Copenhagen took three lifts and wasn’t too difficult. The Danish countryside is gorgeous at this time of year.

Denmark is my 77th country visited. My favourite hobby as a child was LEGO, my favourite movie was The Little Mermaid, and I’m an avid bicyclist, therefore Denmark is right up my alley. When I woke up this morning the rain was frustrating me. It isn’t much fun walking or bicycling when it’s wet. I ran to the shop and got a frozen pizza and a Red Bull whilst it rained and thundered. I’m in Scandinavia, not Thailand or India. That means no more eating out all the time, getting a massage every other day, having dental treatment, or splashing out on all the extras…unless I want to file bankruptcy after a few weeks. For travel, Scandinavia is easily the most expensive region in the world. My current CouchSurfing host is Jean-Paul. He’s originally from France but has lived in Denmark for many years. He agreed to host me after I sent more than 15 requests. Jean-Paul let me borrow a bicycle so I could explore Copenhagen like a true Dane. I’d loved the Little Mermaid since I was 5 years old so now was my chance to have a date with her. One crafty venture I’ve picked up whilst in Europe is keeping a bag with me to collect cans and bottles, as you can recycle them for cash. Containers are easily labelled so you can tell if it's recyclable and nearly all supermarkets have a recycling machine, usually at the front of the store. There was no stopping me today, as I wasn't getting on any trains or buses...I was riding my bicycle all the way into town. "Where to first?" is what I asked myself. Rosenborg Castle would be my first stop other than to collect cans or geocaches. 

Completed in 1606 as a summerhouse, it was opened to the public in 1838. The Danish Royal Life Guards have a post here. 

Next up I'd make my way to colourful Nyhavn. This is the Copenhagen of imagination as this is what you're likely to see when the Danish capital is mentioned in a magazine or on TV. 

In the old days Nyhavn was a seedy place: a haven for drinking, sailing, and prostitution. Hans Christian Andersen lived here for many years. These days, whilst drinking still goes on, it's much friendlier and filled with tourists. Saving a few kroner, I couldn't help but pick up a Danish beer from a shop (rather than a bar or pub) and have a stroll amonst the colour. In no rush to get to the Mermaid I would next visit Amalienborg, which is the official residence of the Danish royal family. Queen Mary, wife of King Frederik X, is from Australia. Most iconic at Amalienborg are the Royal Guards with their distinct hats. 

Copenhagen is easily a place where I could spend many days exploring. Using my legpower, it was time to meet my first love. My date with the Little Mermaid has finally come. 

Many travellers before me have said the Little Mermaid is vastly overrated and underwhelming but personally it's an obligatory stop for me. My love for the Little Mermaid began in kindergarten when I was invited to my friend Alec's birthday. I was immediately enamoured by Ariel and her red hair, and for a couple of years afterward she was always in my heart. To this day it remains my favourite Disney movie. The tale by Hans Christian Andersen, which I've never read, is said to be a much sadder story. I then wanted to go to Kastellet but after visiting Ariel my energy was depleted and I still had to ride close to 10 kilometres back to Jean-Paul's home. As I haven't lost my fervour of ridiing a bicycle everywhere I was still determined not to get on a train or bus, and I should mention that Copenhagen is mostly flat but not 100% flat. 

I absolutely ran myself ragged today after more than 20 kilometres of bicycling, an abundance of exploring, and a major geocaching extravaganza as I broke my previous record of 38 finds, finding 42 geocaches today. I took full advantage of the super long daylight hours at this time of year. Food and wine, even if it’s frozen pizza and boxed wine, tastes amazing after hard work and a really full day! Sore legs and all I had a hot shower and had the feeling of "Be ready for tomorrow, Copenhagen, because I'm gonna do it all over again!"  

 

Add your comments

(If you have a travel question, get your Answers here)

In order to avoid spam on these blogs, please enter the code you see in the image. Comments identified as spam will be deleted.


About kiwiaoraki


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Denmark

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.