Existing Member?

Many Adventures of a Nomadic Poet A young poet with Asperger's makes travel his passion, and away he goes...

Clearing the Map

NORFOLK ISLAND | Monday, 13 November 2023 | Views [28]

On three previous occasions I've cleared the map, finding every geocache on Norfolk Island. When I was here four years ago I learned I was Norfolk's top geocache finder. I shall remain so as I had 12 new caches to find when I touched down on Thursday. Mystery caches on Norfolk has introduced me to a wide range of topics, including steganography, the Baudot code, shortwave radio, and many other things. Duncan Evans is the island's local geocaching connoisseur. He has helped me so often over the course of many journeys to Norfolk. One of my goals for my 3rd visit, in '15, was to find all the caches in Norfolk Island but I came up only a few short. I would accomplish that goal on my 4th visit, and again on my 5th. Each time since I've cleared the map, and when I visited for my 6th visit in '19 I learned I was the island's top cache finder. In five countries (Australia, New Zealand, USA, Thailand, and Bermuda) I've found more than 100 geocaches and I hope to add Norfolk Island to that list someday. 

Eight of the 12 caches I found before today, so I had four more caches I had to find on this journey to have another map full of smiley faces. Three were in the direction of Hundred Acres and the other was in the vicinity of Bucks Point. What3Words has become the official coordinate system of Mongolia and a few other countries where postal addresses aren't common, and one of the newer mystery caches required me to convert a What3Words position into geographic coordinates. Another required me to solve a logic puzzle, which I've enjoyed as far back as 4th grade (Year 4). The third is a traditional by the Bumboras that would have me taking a wrong turn and then improvise with a way down. I would find all three in the southwestern section of the island, and then I did one of those "only on Norfolk" things. Tonight I'm having pizza at Dave Brown's home and the bakery closes at 1 PM. I would call Deb and ask her if she could pick up the pizza bases for me. I've met up with Dave Brown on all nine of my visits to Norfolk and he's hosted me at his home for three of them, including when Alison was with me. The coppers (police) would offer me a lift, thinking I was lost but then I told them I was geocaching and how I've been to Norfolk many times. Shortly after they dropped me I made my final find on Norfolk Island to clear the map for the fourth time. It was a mystery cache based on the history of Norfolk Island postage stamps. Norfolk no longer issues their own stamps as they now use Australia Post. 

Apparently I didn't learn my lesson last time about only going to Norfolk for a week. I love it here, and there's a lady here I kinda like. 

She has the most beautiful smile, and this evening I would pen her a poem and gift her a heart of rose quartz. Next time I visit Norfolk I'll be able to stretch out both arms and all ten fingers. I shall clear the map again with the glow of Eli's radiance. 

Add your comments

(If you have a travel question, get your Answers here)

In order to avoid spam on these blogs, please enter the code you see in the image. Comments identified as spam will be deleted.


About kiwiaoraki


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Norfolk Island

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.