Existing Member?

Many Adventures of a Nomadic Poet A young poet with Asperger's makes travel his passion, and away he goes...

Huambo

ANGOLA | Sunday, 2 July 2023 | Views [63]

Taking on Angola continues, as I'm far from done with this fascinating country. After saying thank you to Camil for hosting me and getting a bifana for breakfast, I ordered a lift via Heetch: Angola's answer to Uber and Lyft, to the outskirts of Lobito. It would then be a combination of hitchhiking and minibuses, and Gonzalo, who picked me up the other day, would set me up with a homestay in Huambo. 

Formerly known as "New Lisbon," Huambo is Angola's third largest city after Luanda and Lubango. At more than a mile above sea level, Huambo refreshingly lacks the stifling heat of the coast. The city was greatly affected during the Angolan Civil War with fierce fighting between the political parties MPLA and UNITA. The MPLA is still the dominant political party as they've won every election since independence. Angola's current president is João Laurenço, and is popularly called "J-Lo." When I first heard someone talk about J-Lo I thought they meant Jennifer Lopez. 

In the district of Lossambo, where I'm staying the streets have a circular layout with apartment blocks that were likely built during the communist days.

The power has been out for the past few days so I've been out eating and drinking with the locals whilst they socialise and listen to music (the various bars and shops have generators).

Huambo itself doesn't have that many standout sights but is still a very interesting city. At last, I got my hands on some postage stamps but I still have to find postcards. Yesterday I had an opportunity to witness the start of an Angolan wedding as families and children dressed their festive best.

Today I would hire a car with a driver and set out for Monte de Luvili. Jutting out of the Earth like a giant shark tooth, Luvili stands out prominently on the Angolan landscape. 

The peak is also featured on the 1000 kwanza banknote. The guide and I didn't have time to walk up Luvili as it was rather late in the day but I managed to get somewhat up close. 

After a fabulous afternoon at Monte de Luvili it was time to head back to Huambo, but not without a good meal and an ice cold Cuca beer. I aspire to inspire before I expire, and I also aspire to reach all of the spectacular places on the Angolan banknotes. 

As I said I'm far from done with business here in Angola. My time here has been filled with gorgeous waterfalls, art deco architecture, spectacular rock formations, fabulous locals, plentiful wine, and delicious food. What's next? How about a journey to the centre of the Earth? No, but to the geographical centre of Angola! 

Add your comments

(If you have a travel question, get your Answers here)

In order to avoid spam on these blogs, please enter the code you see in the image. Comments identified as spam will be deleted.


About kiwiaoraki


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Angola

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.