Existing Member?

Many Adventures of a Nomadic Poet A young poet with Asperger's makes travel his passion, and away he goes...

Angkor

CAMBODIA | Tuesday, 1 August 2023 | Views [19]

The world's largest religious complex is the temples of Angkor Wat. Karnak in Egypt isn't far behind. In Siem Reap I'm staying with a CouchSurfing host named Bumtha with his wife and children. They grow most of their own vegetables on their land, and Bumtha is a tuk-tuk driver. He's clever in hosting CSers and then having them hire him as their driver. 

Tickets to the temples are $62 for a 3-day pass, and you have your photo printed on the pass to ensure that you don't sell it or give it away afterward. The only way that trick would work is if I had a twin brother. I opted to be at Angkor Wat in time for sunrise but when we arrived there was no sun. The skies stayed grey and misty all day. Only later did I learn that the best time to visit Angkor Wat is in February. In many of these places there is really the luck of the draw with weather. For many, there is only one chance in their lifetime to see or go places like Angkor Wat, the Parthenon, Machu Picchu, Fox Glacier, or Mt. Wilhelm. The only real way to avoid poor luck with weather is to either visit during dry season or simply keep your fingers crossed. Rain, hail, or shine, Angkor Wat is magical. 

The various complexes are too far apart to walk between them, so Bumtha hangs around and has me call him when I'm ready to go to the next set of temples. Landmines are still a massive problem in Cambodia, and musicians who have lost a limb perform here at the temples. 

The effects of the Vietnam War and the Khmer Rouge regime will linger for many decades at best and several centuries at worst. The main temple is the most photographed part of Angkor Wat but there is so much more to the complex. What amazes me is how there are gigantic trees that have grown through the grand architecture. 

Part of Tomb Raider was filmed here. 

Some days (or more accurately, evenings) I wish I had at least a passing interest in movies because many of them are filmed in some of the most interesting places. As I was relaxing, talking with my sister, Dannielle on the phone, a lady completely interrupted me asking me if I could take a photo of her, and I was super annoyed. Some people have no manners at all. I basically waved her off telling her I was on the phone to ask someone else. 

After several hours exploring the temples of Angkor Wat, I would experience something unique. The giant African rat has been instrumental in helping clear landmines. Since they're able to sniff the explosive powder, they're able to clear an area of mines in about an hour that would take a standard metal detector a few days. The rats aren't interested in a coin or a metal kitchen utensil. 

Whoever invented landmines deserves a firm kick in the ass. They're designed only to kill. 

Along with landmines, why would anyone invent cluster munitions? Such a sad history there is in this part of the world. Yesterday I visited the Killing Fields, and I could almost feel the souls of Khmer Rouge victims peering through the glass asking me to help release them. For many years I boycotted Cambodia since it's the global epicentre of the child sex industry but I'm glad I got past that. Most people who visit Cambodia, however, are here to explore Angkor Wat, have some great food, ride a tuk-tuk, see the sights, or party and get drunk rather than hook up with children. After a long day of exploring I got a (legitimate) massage at a place that Bumtha referred me to. Dinner at a pub with a Cambodian beer would round out a fabulous day. 

Angkor Wat is so huge that it a day doesn't do it justice. Even though the chances aren't good, I'm getting up at the crack of dawn and having Bumtha drive me in for another chance at a majestic Angkor Wat sunrise. 

Add your comments

(If you have a travel question, get your Answers here)

In order to avoid spam on these blogs, please enter the code you see in the image. Comments identified as spam will be deleted.


About kiwiaoraki


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.