Existing Member?

Many Adventures of a Nomadic Poet A young poet with Asperger's makes travel his passion, and away he goes...

Luanda Highlights

ANGOLA | Monday, 19 June 2023 | Views [220]

Luanda gets an unfairly bad rep, and most people who criticise Angola's capital have never been here. Cranes and skyscrapers dominate the skyline but there are more highlights and standout sights than in many other capital cities. The other day after settling in at Defania's home I collected a few geocaches (there are a few here) and then walked to Largo da Independencia, which is complete with a statue of Dr. Agostinho Neto, the founding father of Angola. There was a heavy police presence with many of the officers in riot gear, and I was warned that a major protest was planned and that it wasn't a safe time to be in the area. 

After the intense grilling yesterday by police and officials at the National Assembly, I walked up to the Fortress of Sao Miguel. Built in 1576 by Paulo Dias de Novais, the fortress is majestic, providing a perfect antidote after what happened at the National Assembly and the Mausoleum of Agostinho Neto being closed. 

It's one place where it's possible to (safely) get a photo of a soldier. 

There are many things to love about Luanda. Colonial architecture is all around, even if a lot of it is decaying or was damaged during the civil war. The food is another highlight; you can't complain when you can get delicious tapas and a couple glasses of wine for only about $2. If you're doing a big trip round Angola, the capital, needless to say, makes a great place to get your bearings, stock up on provisions, have some great food, and meet locals. As much as I love food and sights, I also love street art, which Luanda has plenty of. 

As with any other capital city, Luanda is the place to stock up on visas for nearby countries, and I inquired today about visas for Equatorial Guinea and Congo. I've also been considering a trip to Sao Tome and Principe but cost of flights is steep (about $700 return from Luanda). Today I finally made it to the final resting place of the first leader of Angola. Dr. Neto died of pancreatic cancer in 1979 but the mausoleum wasn't completed until 2012. Colloquially called "Sputnik" it looks like a rocket set for launch. 

Entrance and a guide at the mausoleum are both free, and the guide talked a bit about the history of Angola and some of Dr. Neto's works. The flag of Angola is very colourful, although I wish I wore a different shirt as the flags of Angola and Papua New Guinea have the same colours: red, yellow, and black. 

Photos aren't allowed in the room where Dr. Neto is interred. His body, however, isn't in a glass sarcophagus like that of Kim Il-sung or Ho Chi Minh. It was such an interesting experience and I finally managed a nice photo of the National Assembly. Luanda is a very interesting place. It's a very walkable city as it's mostly flat and if you're not sightseeing, the waterfront is an excellent place to go for a jog or soak up the sea breeze. After a long day in Luanda sightseeing, shopping, visa chasing, or eating, you'll have no trouble getting your hands on an ice cold Cuca beer. 

Add your comments

(If you have a travel question, get your Answers here)

In order to avoid spam on these blogs, please enter the code you see in the image. Comments identified as spam will be deleted.


About kiwiaoraki


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Angola

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.