Existing Member?

Many Adventures of a Nomadic Poet A young poet with Asperger's makes travel his passion, and away he goes...

Pedras Negras

ANGOLA | Saturday, 24 June 2023 | Views [161]

I’m still wondering…how the hell was I the only foreign visitor at Kalandula Falls? If it were Victoria Falls I’d be jockeying for space with many other visitors and I likely couldn’t fly Juliett (my drone). Yesterday I ended up at Pedras Negras de Pungo Andongo. The small village within these giant rocks is mostly abandoned as the school and several homes were decaying. The police station was open and the lone officer allowed me to store my bag whilst I did a few photos. I walked off a bit disappointed but then things (and the scenery) would get better. As I pondered my next move I saw a couple of other foreign faces off in the distance.

 
They are a French couple named Ore and Mae on a big overland journey from France. Since I enjoy good company and great views they unwittingly inspired me to camp here for the night. Before long we were joined by their British friends Sean and Millie. When travelling to a place like Angola I’m likely to meet other smart travellers who are well versed in geography. The countries many overlanders tend to avoid are Equatorial Guinea (due to complicated visa requirements), Mali, Niger, and Chad (due to terrorism and safety concerns). Nigeria is another complicated country to get a visa for as you often have to apply in your home country. 

The village at the start of the road to Piedras Negras has scant supplies but I was able to get some wine and water. Ore and Mae would put my bag underneath their vehicle whilst I was at the shop due to baboons roaming about. From there it was a lovely, convivial atmosphere.

This morning we all contemplated staying here for another night. Sean and Millie wanted to work on their vehicles and wash their clothes whilst I enjoyed the scenery and their company. I snapped so many photos, and when I called my mother she said the scenery reminds her of Arizona.

Some of these rocks appear as if a giant picked them up and placed them where they are.

Before long I soared Juliett into the air, and you can really see what a work of nature this place is.

 

A small bushfire would make us worry a bit.

Their vehicles were parked on solid rock, but my tent was right at the edge of some bush. We would carry some buckets of water over and put the fire out as best we could. As the night grew darker it appeared we had the fire under control. Since I walked into town earlier I offered to get some stuff. With slim pickings I got some wine, water, and a can of "mystery meat" as we all called it. When we're out in the bush, a simple dinner with cheap wine is like dining in a Michelin-starred restaurant. Sean had a ceramic device where can use a bit of lighter fluid to roast a sausage, and it's actually really cool. 

 

Such a wonderful evening this was. The following day we would all pack up. The couples decided they were going somewhere west and I was heading back to Luanda for a night before going to Lobito. Sean and Millie would drop me in the town of Cacuso where we'd stop at the bakery before we all continued our respective journeys. Ore and Mae, Sean and Millie, you have a friend for life in me, and I sure enjoyed my time exploring these beautiful rock formations with all of you. Pedras Negras, along with Kalandula are highlights not just of Angola but all of Africa. 

Add your comments

(If you have a travel question, get your Answers here)

In order to avoid spam on these blogs, please enter the code you see in the image. Comments identified as spam will be deleted.


About kiwiaoraki


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Angola

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.