Existing Member?

Many Adventures of a Nomadic Poet A young poet with Asperger's makes travel his passion, and away he goes...

Kelimutu

INDONESIA | Sunday, 26 February 2023 | Views [127]

After having been to Indonesia four times, I feel I've found my favourite place in the country. Gunung Kelimutu has a set of three lakes that change colour and are often three different colours. After arriving by plane from Kupang to Ende yesterday, I'm in the village of Moni. It's one of the few areas of Indonesia where there's a sense of environmental awareness as rubbish on the streets is largely nonexistent and many restaurants don't use plastic straws or containers. Up at 4 AM I wanted to be at Kelimutu for sunrise but it took me a while to get out the door, and there was no traffic. I was picked up by one of the vendors who works at the carpark of Kelimutu. Her name is Marianna. The entrance fee is a rather steep 225,000 rupiah since it was Sunday (on other days it's 150,000 rupiah). Foolishly I didn't bring my jumper, but Marianna loaned me one as I sat for a coffee before my walk. Upon seeing the first lake I yelled out "WOW!" as the colour is so pretty. Upon reaching the stone marker I had a view of all three lakes. The lake to the northwest is called Tiwu Ata Mbupu (Lake of Old People Spirits), and the other two to the east are Tiwu Nua Mura Kooh Fai (Lake of Young Mudi Spirits) and Tiwu Ata Polo (Lake of Evil Spirits). The two lakes to the east are the same colour but have been different colours in the past and will be again in the future. The "WOW!" factor stuck with me as I gazed at the lakes. 

 

Mopi's Place is the most popular restaurant in Moni, and they do "sunrise snack boxes" so last night I pre-ordered the "sweet tooth" with a banana, brownie, and chocolate chip raisin cookies. Glorious food with a view! 

This would be an extraordinary place to fly Juliett but it was far too windy today. I was also told that quite a number of drones have been lost here. A man named Yasir, from Yogyakarta, would snap one of my best "me" photos in awhile.

It was a really lovely morning so I just sat there for a long while and soaked up the view. These lakes, as their names imply, are said to be sacred. It is believed that spirits come to Kelimutu when people die. Which lake the spirit would enter depended on the age and character when alive. Monkeys hang round the area, so it's best to watch your belongings. After all the effort to get there, Kelimutu is resoundingly worth it! I spent the better part of two hours at the lookout and I could have stayed longer as this is easily my favourite place in Indonesia. Someday I'll visit again, and the lakes of Kelimutu will probably be different colours by then.

 

About kiwiaoraki


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Indonesia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.