Existing Member?

Many Adventures of a Nomadic Poet A young poet with Asperger's makes travel his passion, and away he goes...

Socked In

NEW ZEALAND | Wednesday, 2 November 2022 | Views [100]

A long time ago I learned, when travelling to remote locales like the Chatham Islands or the Falkland Islands, to not plan too much on the other end. This was especially true on Christmas Island when flights were delayed and cancelled left, right, and centre. "Expect the unexpected" is an extremely popular travel quote. No flights left yesterday and, whilst I was supposed to return to Wellington today, none are leaving today, either. I'm "socked in" for at least another day. Incliment weather and other (small) issues mean I haven't been everywhere in the Chathams that I've wished to visit. I still haven't been to Kaingaroa or Waitangi West, and I only made it part way to the south coast on Monday. Very often the best things happen when these extra days come around. Awake early I didn't even pack my sleeping bag because I had a feeling the flight wasn't landing today. With no flight today I put the south coast on my radar, as there are two geocaches. With a total of 16 geocaches in the Chathams, I'm not going to find them all but I've had fun trying. Getting a lift into town was little drama, and then I got a lift from a guy from the fisheries department to the south coast where I began my search. There's a coastal walk that runs in a loop but I wasn't up for a long walk and I didn't want to get stuck. The first geocache I found quickly but the second one was supposed to be on a distinct outcropping, and I couldn't find it even after 30 minutes of searching. When I stopped by Hotel Chathams earlier, I was told that all flights to and from Wellington are being pushed back to the day after tomorrow. 

When I called Air Chathams about my flight I was told to disregard any rumours, and that the flight is leaving back to Wellington tomorrow. Staying with Angie means I don't have to go through the dilemma of booking an extra night at a hotel and then getting reimbursed through travel insurance. Instead, I was excited to stay an extra night. Tonight I mostly took it easy in front of the fire with some 2-minute noodles and a cuppa. I'll never forget Angie's cozy little home. She was worried that I wouldn't be comfortable but it was absolutely perfect. If I don't get on the plane tomorrow, I'm gonna do my best to get to Kaingaroa and then go to the Hotel Chathams one last time for some of the best fish and cups for thousands of kilometres around! 

Update: 

My flight took off the next day, and it wobbled back and forth a bit as we got back into Wellington. For years and years I had the Chathams as a goal, and now I've finally made it. A big shout-out goes to Angie for hosting me, and I'll never forget the colours of these remote islands. 

About kiwiaoraki


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.