Existing Member?

Many Adventures of a Nomadic Poet A young poet with Asperger's makes travel his passion, and away he goes...

Misty Skies

NEW ZEALAND | Saturday, 29 October 2022 | Views [98]

"Misty Skies" is what Rekohu means in Moriori, and it was misty and foul this morning. The wind dictates the shapes of trees here, as I've noticed a few oddly shaped trees.

I know I mentioned the trees in my most recent story, but I can't stop talking about it. Angie knocked on my door early, telling me she was off to Waitangi (town) to get some vegetables. When the plane comes in, you have to get to the shop quickly, as is the rule of thumb in many remote places. Angie's ute is dodgy, and she has to climb through the window because both doors are broken. We seemingly flew down the road to the Dough 'n Go, only to find out there was an issue with the plane in Christchurch, and didn't even get off the ground. There were no fruit or veggies but how about some "cheap azz $het" (clearance items)? 

Clever signs like this are common in remote places. It wasn't all a wasted trip to the store as we called in across the way at River Onion Gallery for a coffee and a toastie. There is some nice artwork and a small range of books amidst the warm, homey atmosphere.

 

Whilst I thought about walking round town, I opted to come home with Angie and I made my vegetable tomato soup, albeit with a twist. I used beef stock and used the leftover bit of lamb from the roast we made the other night, and it came out super delicious. Angie was out cutting gorse, and I wish for it to be one thing that New Zealand gets rid of. Many years ago I cut gorse, and it is a real pain getting the thorns in my fingers. Whilst the Chathams have many of the same invasive species found on the mainland, there are no rabbits or stoats on the islands. 

Yesterday I went out to Wharekauri and then walked up Mt. Chudleigh, and then went to the pub where I had a nice time chatting with a few of the locals. I wanted to go again this evening, and fish and chips were on my radar. I wanted to eat at the pub at least once on my journey. The skies were still misty in the afternoon as I hitchhiked to the pub.

Waitangi has a nice beach that would be packed most days if this were a tropical island. Despite being cold and windy outside, it's very warm inside the pub. Too warm, almost. The fish and chips are some of the absolute best I've had anywhere! Much to my surprise there are pokies at the pub (and I can only hope that people aren't putting money in them when they can be feeding their children). As I sat with a glass of wine this evening, I had that wonderful thought of "I'm so glad I made it here." Craig Smith, the "Wonky Donkey man" described performing at one of the two schools here as a "feather in his cap" as he's performed in every region of New Zealand. It feels the same for me as I've now travelled to every region of the country. It would take a few rides to get back to Angie's this evening. Conditions may be basic at Angie's and the weather can be fickle but I really love it, especially warm by the fire and when these islands are the "feather in the cap" of my NZ travels. 

About kiwiaoraki


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.