Existing Member?

Many Adventures of a Nomadic Poet A young poet with Asperger's makes travel his passion, and away he goes...

Karnak

EGYPT | Monday, 4 July 2022 | Views [136]

Columns of the Great Hypostle Hall

Columns of the Great Hypostle Hall

It's Independence Day in the USA but I'm here in Egypt for the 4th of July exploring temples. Abdallah advised me to allow for a large chunk of the day at Karnak since it's the world's second largest temple complex (the largest is Angkor Wat). Covering more than 200 acres and consisting of four main precincts, only the Precinct of Amun-Re, the largest, is open to the public. After getting in for the student rate, a long row of rams greeted me as I made my entrance. 

Dedicated to the Theban Triad of Amun, his consort, Mut, and their son, Khonsu, Karnak is a "city" of temples. In constrast to many temples of Ancient Egypt, Karnak was built in stretches over a millennium and a half. Construction started during the reign of Senusret I in 20th century BC and continued through to the Ptolemaic period in 4th century BC, resulting in many different buildings and features. Karnak's most commanding feature are the columns of the Great Hypostyle Hall. 

With 134 in all, the columns are much larger when you're standing right next to them. Centuries of weathering and neglect have taken their toll on many features but many are also remarkably intact. 

At the Temple of Ramesses III, many of the statues are severely damaged. 

Even if you're not after a specific site, Karnak is worth a totally aimless wander. The Sacred Lake, dug by Tuthmosis III in 15th century BC, is shaped more like a swimming pool and was originally used for ritual bathing and navigation. These days it's more like a reflecting pool. 

A Karnak icon is the scarab statue. Walking around three times is said to bring good luck, whereas walking around seven times is said to bring love. I wished to find my special lady and then walked seven times around the beetle. I wasn't sure if you're supposed to walk clockwise or anticlockwise but as a general rule, walk or move clockwise when in doubt. It was yet another hot day (unsurprisingly) but a bottle of water and my Barmah hat work wonders beneath the Egyptian sun. I couldn't help but return to the Great Hypostyle Hall and demonstrate my photographic mastery. 

Karnak Temple is utterly amazing! "Spectacular" doesn't do it justice. Out front, I finally gave in and bought a couple of magnets. Souvenir sellers finally got some of my business, but the temple got the best of my heart. I feel I could easily come back and spend another day at Karnak. 

 

About kiwiaoraki


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Egypt

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.