Existing Member?

Many Adventures of a Nomadic Poet A young poet with Asperger's makes travel his passion, and away he goes...

Hellenic Ruin Run

GREECE | Friday, 17 June 2022 | Views [198]

Temple of Hephaestus

Temple of Hephaestus

An abundance of Ancient Greek ruins I visited today. If it weren't for my flight being pushed back by two days I may have been off to Santorini or Mykonos today but I'll have to do some of the Greek islands on a future visit...hopefully with a special lady. With my ticket to visit a number of the ruins of Athens I made today a "ruin run," visiting as many as I could, and collecting some geocaches along the way. 

Up extra early I was but I couldn't go anywhere. It was still dark but I wouldn't have minded a walk as the sky turned pink with the sun coming up. Chris said I had to be extra quiet due to his AirBnB guests still sleeping, so I couldn't get out the door until around 9 AM. It was already very warm. Nearest to Chris' flat is Kerameikos. In ancient times, it was the potters' quarter of the city and where "ceramic" is derived from. Whilst not as grand as the Parthenon there are an abundance of ruins at the site. 

I just can't figure out what Greece' obsession is with naked men. Aren't women in the nude supposed to be more beautiful? Someone pointed out recently about how with most species, the male is more beautiful but I reckon with humans, it's the opposite. After stopping for an ice cold Heineken and a bag of cherries I next went to Hadrian's Library, which I found even more interesting. Beneath these columns, I found my spot to relax. 

I sat in between the third and fourth columns for about 20 minutes and just breathed slowly, thinking "Greece has my heart at the moment..." Every great traveller has their sweet spot, either for the moment or on a consistent basis. Athens is my sweet spot for the moment. The library was founded by Emperor Hadrian in 132 AD, and books in those days were made of papyrus. The third and most spectacular of the ruins is the Ancient Agora of Athens. Meaning "gathering place," an agora was the Ancient Greek equivalent of what a plaza or square may be today, and these ruins are the finest example. The most intact but largely unrestored structure is the Temple of Hephaestus. 

For awhile I just sat in a folding chair and practicted my photography whilst admiring the structure. Completed in 415 BC, the temple is more intact than many other Ancient Greek structures due to its use as an orthodox church for many centuries. Completely restored though is the Stoa of Attalos, which is also the Museum of the Ancient Agora. 

This looks like something straight out of a movie. Hours later, I still can't figure out Greece' obsession with naked men.

The museum is engaging and fascinating with pottery, glass, and coins from as early as 7th century BC. Four of the seven sets of ruins I'm up to now, having visited three today and the Acropolis yesterday. Whilst I wanted to visit the Temple of Olympian Zeus, my feet were sore and the heat sapped most of my energy. 

After thousands of steps and hundreds of snaps across all these ruins, it was time to sit down for a delicious lunch. Lamb chops with chips and salad struck my fancy, as did a 500 mL bottle of Greek wine for only 6 euros. Eating out is noticeably cheaper than in Australia, and the price you see is the price you pay. Just as awesome as my food as that I met and chatted with two bubbly British ladies named Natasha and Leanne. Both work with people on the spectrum and were intrigued by my story. They're only in Greece for four days, and whilst I look at many of my friends for taking short journeys, it's very common in Europe for Britons to go to Spain for the weekend and to Greece or Malta for only three or four days since flights are so cheap. Natasha and Leanne kept shouting me wine and then I was completely out of energy as my "ruin run" tired me out. I didn't forget I still had to get home, and I've promised to take up Leanne's offer of hosting me at her home when I come to the UK next. Home I was eventually, and I just wanted to throw myself on the couch. Although I had to heavily modify this journey, I wish I had more time in Greece. It's as if I could spend a lifetime exploring the ruins and still not see them all. 

About kiwiaoraki


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Greece

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.