Existing Member?

Many Adventures of a Nomadic Poet A young poet with Asperger's makes travel his passion, and away he goes...

Blue Grotto

MALTA | Tuesday, 21 June 2022 | Views [209]

Yesterday was a tale of capitals and towns but today I wanted to experience some of Malta's natural beauty. It turned out to be something more like the Blue Grotto and a tale of two ladies. Looking at a map this morning I threw a proverbial dart and it landed on the Blue Grotto, so that's where I was going. My flight isn't until 10:30 PM and since I only have a small bag, I was able to go about the day without carrying a substantial amount of gear. I said thank you to Pete and his friend for hosting me and then I figured out my way. Malta's public transport system is cheap and efficient, and only two buses would get me all the way to the Blue Grotto, located on the southwestern section of the island. Tan seems to be the colour of Malta as every building in the country seems to be bleached by the overbearing sun. 

I would meet the most gorgeous Maltese lady named Mireille (pronounced something like "Mee-RAY"). Such a pretty name to go with a great figure and really beautiful hair. At first she was a bit shy but then we talked for a bit and she allowed me to take her photo.

 

She convinced me to take a boat ride around the Blue Grotto. At only €8 it's got to be one of the world's great travel bargains. 

The ride into the grotto is magical. 

One of the most amazing 30-minute rides in my life it was, and I ran back to Mireille and gave her a big hug for her suggestion. She and I would then go for a swim in Wied Iz-Zurrieq (Zurrieq Valley Sea Inlet). After all these years I've not only seen the Mediterranean but I've swum in it. It sure was a great day for a swim. 

Often I travel to places to see things and learn but it's often the people, and especially pretty ladies, who are the real highlights. I was quite enamoured by Mireille, so we talked more. She's an art teacher, and often teaches children with disabilities. Up to the lookout we went where we had another extraordinary view. 

Mireille would introduce me to a Maltese pastry called pastizz (plural: pastizzi), which comes filled with ricotta or peas. I chose the latter, and they are delicious. After a nice hug, Mireille would drop me at the bus station and then I'd be on my way to Gzira, where I was meeting another lovely lady whom I met yesterday. Surja is from the southern coast of Italy and is living here with her son for a few months working on a boat. She called me and asked if I would like her to pose for me again after doing a few impromptu photos yesterday. "Why not" I thought; I can't complain when I have a pretty lady in front of me. After dinner and a couple of drinks, Surja would get changed and then pose majestically. 

"Bellissima" she said after each snap. Dozens of photos later, she smiled after I had a number of masterpieces. Surja had to get back to work and I had to start making my way toward the airport. After one final walk round Gzira, it was time to go and so I got the bus to be in time for my Ryanair flight this evening. Someday I'll have to come back to Malta with more time, as I'd love to visit Mireille. I would also love to go to Gozo. It's back to Greece from here...

 

About kiwiaoraki


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Malta

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.