Existing Member?

Many Adventures of a Nomadic Poet A young poet with Asperger's makes travel his passion, and away he goes...

Red Sea Dive

EGYPT | Monday, 27 June 2022 | Views [137]

As with some of my journeys, this one started off on the wrong foot but I've managed to right the ship quickly. Being Juliett-less (drone-less) in Egypt is a minor inconvenience but how about a dive into the Red Sea? As one of the world's great diving destinations, I thought I might as well do it if I'm here. Whilst I've been snorkelling hundreds of times, before today I'd only ever been scuba diving once, and that was in the Cook Islands. I'm not sure why they call it the Red Sea because it's more like "Blue Sea." When I was an assistant in Mr. Hanley's geography class years ago (he and I can finally compare and contrast stories because I've now been to a few places that he has been to), some students used to color the Red Sea red, the Black Sea black, and the Yellow Sea yellow. 

Awake after only three hours of sleep I was ready to put on a heavy oxygen tank and get into the ocean. Hurghada will never win any awards for being the most beautiful city or town but it's a convenient place for those doing exactly what I'm doing. At the port at 8 AM, Luka was already there. I still hadn't made a final call as to whether I was going to dive or snorkel, but when Luka asked me I said "I'm gonna dive." With free coffee and tea, all of the usual stuff was gone over: safety, how to use our equipment, etc. Some of the more experienced divers dove into a shipwreck about 30 metres below the surface. I'm not that good of a diver but I will be someday. Off to the reef we ventured, and then we got ready. Even in hot climates I prefer to wear a wetsuit; it doesn't only keep you warm but protects against coral, jellyfish, and nasty sunburn. One of the dive instructors dresses up as Batman and I said "I thought Batman would fly, not scuba dive." 

The water is spectacular! Luka took three of us diving today. Al and his partner are also from the US, and Luka took them diving first. Al has done a few dives in the past but his partner had never been diving. After Luka took them it was my turn to go beneath the surface. Into the deep blue I journeyed the deepest I've ever been in water. Approximately 10 metres below the surface I moved through an array of colourful fish and coral. 

Since talking isn't possible whilst diving, symbols are very important. This symbols means everything is OK. 

Experienced divers will carry a slate where they can write stuff with a waterproof pen. After a graceful dive we had a delicious lunch of pasta, salad, and the like. Lunch was tasty, but I wanted to get into the deep blue again. I just couldn't wait; I wanted as much time below as above. Heavy tank, flippers, mask, and all, I threw myself backwards off the boat and into the sea with all these fish. 

I couldn't finish a dive without getting a photo with the operator's name beneath the surface. 

I asked Luka "where are we diving next?" I wanted more but it was late afternoon by then. Platters of fresh fruit were set out and we smiled as we arrived back at the port. My ears were clogged and I was hungry, so I went with Al and his wife to have pizza and a drink, all whilst reminiscing on our date with the deep blue. Justifiably, the Red Sea truly is one of the world's great dive spots. 

After today I've set myself yet another travel goal: get my PADI certification. Diving opens you up to a whole new world of creatures, mystery, and amazement, and it is just as exhilarating as being in the air. 

About kiwiaoraki


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Egypt

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.