Existing Member?

Many Adventures of a Nomadic Poet A young poet with Asperger's makes travel his passion, and away he goes...

Great Southern Adventure

AUSTRALIA | Tuesday, 22 March 2022 | Views [217]

Western Australia (WA) has too many gorgeous places to count. I won't be able to see all of them on this stretch, but I've seen a good chunk of them and I'm doing my best before I leave for Queensland next month and then Papua New Guinea in May. Continuing my quest to find a geocache in every local government area (LGA) in Australia, I ended up at one of the huts on the Bibbulmun Track. Stretching for 1000 km from Perth to Albany, I plan to do at least some stretches of this famed walk. All huts are free and you're not required to register. An ammo box I found near the hut. 

Most of the huts on the Bibbulmun Track aren't enclosed, so I'll have to make sure to bring a mozzie net with me when I go trekking. 

Last night I ended up in the country town of Kojonup, where I pitched my tent and then had a couple glasses of wine at the pub. This isn't the Wheatbelt, but the region of Great Southern. Port Maquarie has a big banana, but Kojonup has a big nut.

I would be picked up by a Kiwi lady named Maria. She and her daughter, Diamond were on their way to Albany but opted to go for a hike at Castle Rock. I had never even heard of Castle Rock before today but I was up for a spectacular trek. Ahhhh, the gems you discover as a result of detours and those you meet. The other day I bought a jumper, and it was a good investment as it's been chilly these past couple of days. For much of the pandemic I've been in warm parts of the country. The trek up to Castle Rock sure didn't disappoint: 

The steep set of stairs leads to the final stretch

What a view it is from the top! 

OK, it may not be a spectacular view that will completely knock your socks off, but the rock formations more than make up for it. I just had to use all of my strength to hold up Balancing Rock...

Before long, we were in the coastal town of Albany. Anzac heritage is especially important here, as it's home to the National Anzac Centre and it's the port where the soldiers left for Gallipoli during the First World War.

A very pretty town with a great setting, I'll have to come back and spend more time in Albany. Admission to the Anzac Centre is rather steep so I appreciated the areas outside. Maria and Diamond would take me to Dog Rock

It looks like a dog sniffing the sky. Those lovely ladies would drop me at the road to Denmark where I'd continue my quest. Whilst I hoped to get to Walpole or Manjimup this evening, I called it an evening in Denmark. I pitched my tent near a church and then went to the tavern for one of the best chicken schnitzels around. When I noticed Luc Longley's autographed jersey on the wall, I told the manager I'd love to meet him. He said "he lives here in Denmark, that's his motorcycle on display." Maybe if I hang round this area for awhile, I'll get my chance; you can't miss him when he stands 7'2". Portions are so huge at the tavern that I could have eaten only half of one and still be full. Still, I'd be sitting peaceful in my tent after two spectacular days in the Great Southern.

About kiwiaoraki


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.