Existing Member?

Many Adventures of a Nomadic Poet A young poet with Asperger's makes travel his passion, and away he goes...

TI

AUSTRALIA | Tuesday, 27 July 2021 | Views [189]

Now that I've been to the Tip of Australia, I feel I have to go even further north. If it were possible at the moment I would try to get across to Papua New Guinea. Until recently I figured the Torres Strait Islands were somewhat like Norfolk Island or Christmas Island, in that you needed a passport or a special permit to go there. The islands are part of Queensland but have their own flag. There are islands for several days of the week in the Torres Strait archipelago but Thursday Island, known as "TI" by locals is the most populous and the administrative centre. After being told that I need only a day on TI I opted to do that.

Whilst I thought the ferry ran every hour or so, it turns out there are only two per day: 8 AM and 4 PM. Getting the latter would mean I'd have to spend the night on TI. Boarding the MV Torres Magic at 8 AM sharp I was heading even further north. Buck, who gave me the lift from Archer River to Bamaga the other day, told me to call him when I was on TI. With about five hours to explore I immediately went for a stroll. My first stop of the day was Green Hill Fort, where some gun turrets were placed. The conflict between Britain and Russia led Australia to fear the Russians would invade. What's sad and unfortunate is that people have used them for carving their names and sticking their chip bags and beer cans. 

After a lengthy walk where I visited Green Hill Fort and the cemetery, I called in at the pub for a glass of wine. It's billed as "Australia's Top Pub" but I'd regard it as a rather disorganized pub. The only wine available was chardonnay, and there's a $20 minimum if you use a card. Since I had no cash, the barman gave me my glass of wine for free. I noted how you have to use the Queensland COVID-19 check-in app when entering the pub: a further testament that TI is part of Queensland.

Buck saw me from afar, and then he took me on a ride on his boat half way around the island. 

A bit of a sea spray wasn't bad on a hot day, and as Buck says "there's no winter on TI." He has several adult children, as well as a 1-year old boy. He took me to his home to meet his son and mother-in-law, who is on an extended visit from New South Wales. Sydney and large parts of NSW have been in lockdown for several weeks now. Buck told me if his house wasn't so full, he'd put me up for a night or two. Camping options are nonexistent and other accommodation is very expensive, hence why most people visit TI on a day trip. 

At 2:30 PM, it was time to get to the ferry. After Buck dropped me, I said "bala esor," meaning "thank you, brother" in the local language. 

 

About kiwiaoraki


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.