Existing Member?

Many Adventures of a Nomadic Poet A young poet with Asperger's makes travel his passion, and away he goes...

Norfolk Island 8th

NORFOLK ISLAND | Friday, 4 June 2021 | Views [236]

For the 8th time I've returned to my happy place: Norfolk Island that is! COVID-19 has thoroughly wreaked havoc of practically all my travel plans both this year and last year. The last time I was on a plane was when I flew back from Thailand last year, meaning this was the longest stretch since I was 19 years old that I hadn't been on a plane. It felt great to fly again. I came to Norfolk for my 7th visit at the beginning of last year for my friend Winton's 30th birthday, and I only decided on coming after seriously thinking about it. My big goal for 2020 was to hitchhike across Russia and then visit every country in Europe; in the process I would have nearly doubled my country total. COVID-19 has severely limited my travel options: with the Trans-Tasman travel bubble I can only go to Norfolk Island, New Zealand, and the Cook Islands. If I went to either NZ or the Cooks, I'd have to spend at least two weeks in each, otherwise I'd have to quarantine for 14 days at my own expense. However, despite the mental toll this awful pandemic has taken on me, I'm trying to make the best of it. My favourite place beckoned...

Whenever I come back to Norfolk Island, I always specifically request a seat toward the front of the plane because I just want to rush off and go see everyone. It's something akin to running down the stairs on Christmas morning hoping to unwrap a Nintendo game...I feel like a kid again. In the age of travel during a pandemic, face masks must be worn on the plane, a thermal device is held to your forehead at the airports in both Australia and on Norfolk, and you must apply for an entry pass to Norfolk (although it's just a formality and costs nothing). The flight was fuller than I expected; tourism in Norfolk has been booming due to Aussies being unable to travel practically everywhere else. 

Kevin the customs official has greeted me on all eight of my visits to the Bounteous Isle. Whilst on Norfolk I've stayed with some really awesome people, but this time around I'm staying with a very cute and bubbly Argentine girl named Valeria (Val). She gives the best hugs! The other day I put all of my cold food away and then jumped on Val's pushbike and rode around with all my heart as I always do. After all the drama of attempting to find a room for cheap last year, this year it was a piece of cake. Nobody hassled me, and Val messaged me weeks ago. There is a million-dollar view from my bedroom.

Eight trips to Norfolk are now under my belt, and I maintain that the sullen (people) of Norfolk are its greatest asset. In the past couple of days, I've ridden down to Kingston, walked along Emily Bay, admired the view from my favourite spot (on top of the old hospital), and gone out to Anson Bay. If the hills get too tough, I just park the pushbike and put my thumb out. 

This morning I did my usual round of saying "wutawieh" to people and then a coffee at either Cafe Tempo, the Olive, or High Tide. Kissard, Dave Brown, Charles Christian-Bailey, and Doosy (Carli) are always at the top of my list to see. Although I see many familiar faces, I meet new people every time I come to Norfolk. For the past couple of days I've sat with Dave at Cafe Tempo, today I went to the Olive for one of their delicious brekkie wraps. It's rare that I go out to eat on Norfolk due to being so expensive but I've promised myself to go out to eat at least a few times whilst here. With 63 finds, I'm Norfolk Island's top geocacher. Only one new cache has sprouted up since my last visit. It took me to some of my favourite scenic lookouts at various spots round the island. 

Queen Elizabeth Lookout is what you see from here. Over the course of the past couple of days I've re-visited Anson Bay, Mt. Pitt, Flagstaff Hill, and Captain Cook Lookout. There is no such thing as a bad photo or view on Norfolk Island. 360 degrees of wonder this place is! 

After all that has happened in the past year, not being able to travel and being depressed, it feels great to be back on the Rock. Val told me yesterday that I'm a "great source of warm energy." The best thing to do is smile, be kind, and be in a place you love. Norfolk Island, I love you, I've missed you, and with fervour I shall embrace you as the "duchess of my travels." 

About kiwiaoraki


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Norfolk Island

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.