Existing Member?

Many Adventures of a Nomadic Poet A young poet with Asperger's makes travel his passion, and away he goes...

Funky Rocks

TAIWAN | Monday, 25 November 2019 | Views [291]

Adventures with Mel would continue today. I've only known her for a few days but we get on really well. She would tell me this morning that what she really likes about me is that if I want to do something I just do it and figure out how to make it happen without making excuses. Mel would shout me a coffee from 7-Eleven this morning and we'd make sure to eat before going out today. Mel and I would make a run for the town of Dulan, which could be regarded as the Taiwanese equivalent of Byron Bay (just not as well known). To the outskirts of Taitung we walked in search of another geocache, which we found easily. Mel and I would then put our thumbs out and two motorbikes would stop simultaneously. Loads of fun it was, although I could only hope they wouldn't go too fast (and which they didn't) because neither of us were wearing a helmet. We'd end up at yet another 7-Eleven in Fugang Harbour, and Mel and I would both be dropped off unscathed. 

You would never believe Mel is 48; she looks damn good for her age. Perhaps it's due to having a huge passion for travel and not having kids. Mel is also courageous at approaching street dogs, which is something I wouldn't do. In fact, I try to avoid as many dogs as I can. After a coffee we walked hand-in-hand, and then a geocache would lead us to what is, so far, my favourite place in Taiwan. Xiaoyeliu is a series of weird rock formations along the coast. The cracks and holes in the sandstone make it look like a buttoned up suit in places.

 

Another part of the rock looks like a camel's head. 

Mel managed to get some great photos of me with her GoPro. 

We were on a mission to collect more geocaches and see a hell of a lot more! In the back of a ute with a young man from Taipei with his dog, we were on our way to Dulan.

Funny that I mentioned avoiding dogs earlier only to end up in the ute with a really nice dog. Smiling with the wind on my face, I was excited and in a bit of an adventurous trance. 

In Dulan we stopped first to have a look at another interesting sight: water running upward. Of course a geocache would lead us here.

The water doesn't really run up; it's an optical illusion. Mel and I originally planned on the challenging hike up Dulan Mountain but grey clouds made it look ominous. Taiwan has some outstanding hiking but I haven't done any major hikes due to poor weather and limited time. I'll definitely return to Taiwan and do some serious hiking. Mel and I would sit down, have an iced tea, and then figure out the next leg of our adventure. We'd sign another geocache at the old sugar factory and then thumb a short lift to an old stone wall. 

Whilst nowhere near as interesting as Xiaoyeliu it was still worth the trip. There must be a sizeable military presence in the region because I've seen and heard so many fighter jets fly overhead today. 

We've both been awake early on this journey and by 3 PM I was pretty buggered. We thought about hitchhiking to Chenggong and checking out the natural bridge but we decided to hitch back to Taitung. A much needed rest was in order, and then we went out in search of more delicious Taiwanese food. The Taitung Night Market is where we headed, only to find it's closed Sunday to Tuesday. An Aussie lady and her daughter recommended a noodle shop with a green facade just down the street so that's where we headed. Sure enough, the food was delicious as we ordered noodles, grilled vegetables, and the like. A fabulous feed without breaking the bank. Tomorrow I'm leaving Taiwan. In retrospect I wish I planned at least three weeks here. Mel has been a fantastic travel companion and I discovered some new places thanks to her. I really like Mel, and I'll shed a tear when I have to part ways with her tomorrow. I'll be faced with the daunting task of getting all the way back to Taipei for my 11:30 PM flight to Brisbane. I'll be traversing the country but it's no Melbourne to Darwin run; it's doable in a day with plenty of time leftover. 

As one of the very few places I've been to without doing any research beforehand, Taiwan proved to be a wonderful place. Thank you Mel for being my awesome travel companion; we shall meet again...soon. 

About kiwiaoraki


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Taiwan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.