Existing Member?

Many Adventures of a Nomadic Poet A young poet with Asperger's makes travel his passion, and away he goes...

St. Paul's Pool

PITCAIRN | Tuesday, 15 October 2019 | Views [522]

The weather has come right again here on Pitcairn. Whilst I’ve seen a fair amount on the western half of the island, it was now time to explore some of the eastern half of the home of the Bounty mutineers. St. Paul’s Pool was on my radar for today and I was hoping it’d be calm enough to go for a swim. I've yet to put my toes in the water in the home of the mutineers. As I’m not the most confident swimmer, I won’t take an unnecessary risk. Most visitors take a quad bike but I’ve decided to walk just about everywhere. During the wet season, walking can be rather difficult due to the soil having a high clay content. On the other hand, Pitcairn gets extremely dusty during the dry period. Only a short section of the road in Adamstown is sealed; everywhere else, this is what they look like. 

 

No matter what road you're on it will almost always come with a nice view. Up steep hills, along clay roads, and then through volcanic dirt would eventually get me to the easternmost point on Pitcairn. St. Paul's Pool is gorgeous! 

However, you don't want to swim when you see waves crashing through like this...



When the sea is this rough, you do not want to go swimming here unless you want to get swept out to sea. Juliett allowed me to see the natural pool from other vantage points. 

Pitcairn has so much colour!

Despite being humid today, I walked up to Landing Lookout. From there I soared Juliett 2 km off the north of the island to get all of Pitcairn in a photo.

With no airplanes or helicopters, the only way to get aerial photos of Pitcairn is with a drone. It's cloudier and a bit windier than a few days ago when I flew Juliett off the southern end of the island; today I flew off the northern end. Heather is the tourism manager for Pitcairn, and I called into her place and had a chat with her on the way back to town. She initially said she was busy but said "you made the effort to walk up here, so let's chat." Heather wondered before my arrival if I was a news reporter or some sort of high-profile writer; in that case I would have had to apply for a business visa. I had to answer similar questions before visiting North Korea a few years ago. Heather has a gorgeous view from her place!

A day on Pitcairn is always a day worth writing out. My only regret today is not being able to swim in the crystal clear waters of St. Paul's Pool, but I'll have to hope for some calm seas. 

About kiwiaoraki


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Pitcairn

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.