Existing Member?

Many Adventures of a Nomadic Poet A young poet with Asperger's makes travel his passion, and away he goes...

Wet Night Market

TAIWAN | Saturday, 23 November 2019 | Views [291]

What a lovely day it was yesterday. My new companion, Mel and I were ready for another adventurous one. Taroko Gorge was absolutely lovely. Mel wanted to go to the beach today but I'm useless without my morning cuppa. I think Mel and I have gotten to like each other a bit. Before long, we walked hand in hand toward the train station. We stopped and got a bento box but the next train that would drop us near the beach wasn't due to leave for more than an hour and the next bus wasn't gonna be leaving for awhile. Mel and I would end up sharing a taxi with another guy visiting from England. He'd be our companion for the time we were at the beach even though we wanted some alone time. The weather wouldn't stay postcard perfect and there's very little as far as facilities and shops at the beach. Rock cairns and sculptures would make interesting photo ops. 

We didn't want to spend extra for another taxi so we took the bus back to the hostel. I really wanted an iced tea from 7-Eleven; it seems I can't live without it. The meals at 7-Eleven are brilliant as well so Mel and I each got something light as a late lunch. 

We were ready for more adventure so we, despite the pouring rain, walked toward town. Mel really enjoys geocaching so we grabbed one hidden in a tree that hangs low over the road; low enough that there's a warning sign so that trucks don't drive down that road. In an unexpected moment we stumbled upon a festival. Along with rain, a parade, music, and steam from a dragon floats filled the air. 

People were dressed up as all sorts of characters. 

A Taiwanese version of Mardi Gras? With gorgeous ladies like this I think it must be...

Place a blindfold over me and I could also think I'm at the Carnival in Rio. As we later found out, this is the Pacific Hot Spring and Float Carnival, which originates from the city of Morioka, Japan. Ahhh, the things we discover spontaneously whilst we travel.

We were soaked as we ventured into Dongdamen Night Market. Everything you could imagine is here: everything you can think of for sale, carnival games, and various food stalls, but these baby turtles really caught my eye. 

Although we were spoiled for choice as far as what to eat we had a difficult time deciding. At first I got a lamb roll and then braised eggplant. After strolling round the market for awhile we were soaked. Taiwan has a lovely surprise around every corner. Despite the rain we walked back to the hostel and spent another few hours talking, even though a wobbly table would nearly send my laptop flying across the room. 

Whilst I initially was thinking of another night in Hualien and perhaps going to Taroko Gorge again, Mel is making a run for Taitung tomorrow and I'm joining her. Why did I decide on only eight days in Taiwan? It's another place on that long list of mine that requires a lot more time than I planned.  

About kiwiaoraki


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Taiwan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.